“Very friendly service”

MIT72
Member Since 2010
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
We booked adjacent unobstructed, outside cabins -- one for my husband and myself and the other for my son, daughter-in-law and 9 month old grandbaby. The boarding process was very easy and efficient with no waiting. We arrived near the beginning of the boarding time and had immediate access to our cabins. We had filled out the forms on our special needs prior to departure. The gallon of distilled water for our CPAP machines was in our stateroom, but the "pak and play" baby bed was not in our son, daughter-in-law and grandbaby's room. The error was quickly fixed. Our cabin was very comfortable with a large amount of storage space. The bathroom was very nice, with a tub. There was plenty of room to shower and no problems with water escaping from the shower. We always had lots of hot water. The staff in both the formal dining room and in the Lido were very friendly and worked hard to accommodate the baby and keep her entertained. Our grand daughter loved some of the soups and one night we ordered a second bowl just for her. The main courses at dinner were excellent. The desserts were not as good as the main courses. The only problems we had on board were: 1) That our room was too cold even when the heat was left on the hottest setting. A person was quickly sent to our room when we complained. 2) The toilet clogged up one evening. A plumber was sent to correct the dire situation within 40 minutes. 3) The same evening was the blocked toilet, we received a phone call at 10:30 PM after we had gone to sleep asking us if we would switch cabins the next day (during the sailing in Glacier Bay to allow the wall paper to be changed). My husband thought that the request was a joke, but they were serious. When I explained out out-of-line and inappropriate the request was both in terms of time of night and that we did not wanted to stay next door to our grandbaby, they made amends by giving us a free dinner and nice bottle of wine at the extra charge restaurant. The gym was very nice and I used it every morning except the last one. The evening show was mediocre with dull material. The choreography was poor and one of the two female dancers was rather hefty. When a couple got up to walk out on the juggler, he ridculed them even when they tried to sneak out further to the back. I had been yawning and thought he might criticize me for that!
Volendam Cruises to Alaska
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Large Ocean-View Stateroom

FF1958
Our room was very quiet. We didn't hear the baby next door. There were many other children in the immediate area and we didn't hear them either. The bathroom was well designed with a very good shower in the tub. The room was comfortable with a good sitting area. The window was not very clean and was not clean at the beginning of the cruise and was never cleaned during the cruise.

Port
My husband and I took our grandbaby up the cable car and wandered around. Because of the heavy snow, none of the trails on top were open. We saw the injured bald eagle in captivity and a few other wild ones flying around.
Read 1,108 Juneau Reviews
Port
Ketchican is very rainy. Fortunately I had waterproof pants and a waterproof jacket. I had a hiking backpack with waterproof cover for the 9 month old baby. We all walked up to the Salmon hatchery and Totem pole museum. A very nice woman from the Indian tribe that runs the hatchery gave us a private tour that we very much enjoyed. We also liked seeing the historic totem poles. We loved the idea that some of the historic poles were "ridicule" or "shame" poles. We also enjoyed walking on Creek Street. The coupon books offered some very inexpensive souvenirs in the shops near the dock.
Read 1,243 Ketchikan Reviews
Port
My husband and I took our grandbaby around Skagway while our son and daughter-in-law took an excursion. Everyone was incredibly friendly. We got a free walking tour of the town with a park ranger and one other tourist. Then in the museums and shops everyone talked to our grandbaby and commented favorably on the hiking backpack we had her in. At the tourist information center, she was given a free toy.
Read 833 Skagway Reviews
Published 06/03/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Volendam Review
Volendam Cruises to Alaska
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?