Saga Ruby Cruise Review by paul ilett

Member Name: paul ilett
Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Africa
See More About: Saga Ruby Cruise Reviews | Africa Cruise Reviews | Saga Holidays Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: Saga Ruby Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Saga Ruby Deck Plans
First Voyage
This was our first cruise and expectations were high. Unfortunately life has a habit of not running according to plan.

It started on the first day with problems with the ship's steering gear which took a day for the engineers to rectify - still, my wife enjoyed a stroll around Ikea which happened to be located opposite the dock. Finally we got underway for Lisbon and that was when Gastroenteritis decided to pay me a visit. So,being confined to my cabin I missed one black tie event,Leslie Garrett and a rather good fireworks display.

With regard to the accommodation the cabins fabric was a little on the tired side in fact, on day two, the wardrobe door decided to part company with the frame. I also had to ask for a replacement pillow as the first one smelt disgusting probably as the result of a sweaty heads. Additionally, on a number of occasions, the water from the wash hand basin was black and the toilet flushing water vile.

The lecturers were good and, apart from the crews performance on the last night which was outstanding,the evening entertainment was pretty mediocre.

The up side of the holiday was provided by the staff and the food, both were exceptional. The excursions in the main were enjoyable and our guides accommodating and knowledgeable which enabled a great deal of ground to be covered in the minimum amount of time

Would I cruise with Saga again? I don't know, this trip cost the two of us just under £8500 and in retrospect I think I could have got better value elsewhere.

Publication Date: 06/03/12