Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by purplekisses: The good and the okay with a 2 year old

purplekisses
Member Since 2007

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

The good and the okay with a 2 year old

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

We stayed pre cruise at the Comfort Inn and Suites on East Willow in Long Beach. We booked the cruise package that included parking the car and transportation to and from the cruise port. We are a casual type family, we like fast food and enjoy the tee shirt and jean scene. We really liked the hotel and felt I got my moneys worth there. The room was good sized for 5 of us and the breakfast was good for free breakfast. Breakfast included waffles, make your own egg muffins with sausage and the usual pastries, toast, cereal and beverages. The pool was nice and the front desk staff was very helpful. The area was fine for us, there are several fast food places within walking distance, an Albertsons across the street as well as CVS pharmacy.

We took the hotel paid taxi to the port at about 10:30am and after checking in we got group 9. We waited about an hour to board. We have sailed on the Splendor and boarding was faster this time than last.

We had a balcony cabin More and an inside cabin. The balcony was an L shaped cabin with the larger balcony. We liked the cabin itself. Downside the room had a lot of vibration from the ship. The location was great for the Lido deck but could be quite a walk otherwise. The inside cabin was standard. We had to always ask for ice it seemed at night. They would fill it once during the day and that was it. The overall room steward service was the worst we have had so far.

Food wise my husband noted the choices per meal were more limited he felt than previous cruises, I also felt that way. Some of the usual stuff that was offered daily before was not, like shrimp cocktail. We had anytime dining and the service was fine. They tried to help entertain my grandson which was nice and were quick to bring his food.

Over all the cruise was good, but I would rate this one below the other 4 we have taken with Carnival. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Balcony Upper 6483

The cabin had a lot of vibrations. We didn't hear any thing from the lounge below us. Balcony had 2 chairs and table, and a lounger. Didn't like the double doors. There is a door to the cabin and one to get to the hallway for our cabin and the corner cabin.

Cabo San Lucas Day 1 We rented a car from National Car Rental and drove to Chileno beach and had a nice time. The beach was more crowded than I had expected but still nice. We made a stop at Walmart before going to the beach for drinks and snacks. The restroom were cleaner than I expected, but still not as clean as they could be. There was no paper in the stalls, I brought some from the ship as I heard this could be the case.

Cabo San Lucas Day 2 We went to Tabasco's Beach Bar and Restaurant. The food was good. My husband got egg and chorizo, my son got pancakes and we got 4 sodas and a virgin Pina Colada it came to $24. The beach in front of Tabasco's was quiet and we used their loungers and tables. We also rented a jet ski for $50 per hour right there. The jet ski was fun and we didn't have any incidents. I did find it interesting that they had no problem with letting my 14 year old ride it alone. After we went shopping and back to the ship.

We went to the zoo. We found a taxi driver for the day for $90+tip and went to the zoo in Mismaloya. We really liked the zoo. We feed all kinds of animals and got to pet some baby tigers. The one tiger did nip me in the arm and it did break the skin, but hey it's a tiger. I now can say I got bit by a tiger, how many people can say that. We spent several hours at the zoo. We then went downtown and shopped. Hector our driver took all my packages to the car for us as we shopped and showed us some of the sights along the way. We had a great day.