Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Boomer47

Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: D1
Cabin Number: deck8

A good, but not great, Freedom of the Seas cruise
We're a couple in our mid sixties and we've cruised quite a lot. We have our favorites and cruised once before on Royal Caribbean (to the Med--fabulous!). This was our first time on such a large ship, and she certainly is beautiful. So much to do for families--as a matter of fact I recommended this ship to my daughter after we got home because I thought my grandkids (13 and 8) would love it. Glad we got to see the ship, but we won't be back. The smaller ships are much more to our liking. Four thousand people on one ship is just more than we are comfortable with. Don't even think about getting a couple of chaise lounges around the pool unless you're willing to get up very early and save chairs. I won't beat a dead horse, as this has been mentioned ad nauseum on the boards, but there surely is something that the cruise lines can come up with to solve the cheating. We sat at a table for almost 2 hours since we couldn't find chaises, and there were LOTS of chaises with towels, etc. on them that nobody used or even visited the whole time we were there. Shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Food at Portofino was very good, as was service. Windjammer is also decent, lots of choices, nothing fabulous, but when you're serving 4,000 people I don't expect gourmet! Charging $2.50 for a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice is absolutely ridiculous, but RC tends to nickle and dime you to death. I bought a bottle of Clos de Bois Chardonnay for $39 which ended up costing $44+ with the 15% tip. I can buy the same bottle for $8.50 at Total Wine and you know because they buy in bulk they're getting it for less than retail, so it amounts to usury at those prices! A glass of the same at any bar cost $9--more than the price of a bottle at home!! Also shouldn't be allowed to happen. Add another $100 or $200 to the price of the cruise and stop the nonsense.

We had a balcony cabin on deck 8 and it was one of the nicest cabins we've had. Roomy, nice sized balcony. Only 1 thing to complain about, so listen up ladies, unless you like to dry your hair in a hurricane, bring your own dryer. There is one setting and it's high, and you have to press the button while drying or it won't work. The funny thing is it's in a top drawer and it's connected to the drawer, like they think you're going to leave with it. I personally would like to make a bonfire with it, not steal it. Totally worthless.

All in all a nice cruise, good weather, beautiful ship. Just too big for our tastes.

Publication Date: 06/03/12