Oceana Cruise Review by ste1200: Great holiday in the Canaries

Great holiday in the Canaries

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Canary Islands
Embarkation: Southampton

We married last April on the Oceana so we thought it fitting to take another cruise this year for our anniversary.

We arrived at Southampton at about approx. 1.30pm as our check-in was 2pm. All desks were manned (about 16) and although the queue looked long we reached the desk after about 10-15 minutes.

Stateroom

We booked a partially obscured view and were very pleased that we had been upgraded to an LA cabin which has plenty of space for 2 people and a full view. In fact, we thought the cabin was larger than the balcony cabin that cost us nearly double the previous year. There was a couple of complementary bottles of water in the fridge and I was glad to see they used the same biscuits as the previous year as they are fantastic. The room was made up and turned down every day by Susan, who like all the cabin staff on cruises are fantastic and really earn their money and thoroughly deserve the tips they earn through their excellent work More ethic.

The Ship

Nothing had changed on Oceana since last year, although I believe the Plaza (large buffet area) is getting a refurb sometime this year. It is a great ship, we find the best part is the rear of the ship where there is a bar, a plunge pool, 3 jacuzzis (1 very hot, 1 freezing !), and a sun trap (by the wall to the right of the bar. Seriously, move a table here and you will get no breeze at all).

Main Dining Room

We were on Freedom dining and used the main dining room 10 out of the 12 nights. The service and quality/choice of food, although still excellent, has gone downhill slightly from last year.

Activities

I enjoyed a few of the sports this year, table tennis, tennis, cricket and used the adequate gym a couple of times. The classes were £7.00 per class which I thought expensive so I didn't use.

Pretty poor like last time. I enjoy the quizzes but the race nights and bingo are a rip off. I recommend just playing bingo on the last afternoon when the snowball is £1000+ otherwise avoid it or you will run up your cabin bill very fast ! Some of the comedians were pretty poor, although Andre was good. Maxine Mazumba had her second appearance of the cruise as Lulu cancelled for some reason and I didn't attend any of the headliners shows, although last year they were quite good. I watched a couple of films but it seemed like the same 5 were shown about 10 times each throughout the cruise.

Excursions

We chose the Mountain Villages tour for Cadiz which was poor, there wasn't any mountains for one, and they only free time we had was spent waiting for an hour for a ham a cheese sandwich at a restaurant the tour guide recommended, so we didn't get a chance to have a walk around.

We also went on the river cruise and wine tasting tour in Porto, which was nice, but not worth the money. The town we ported in looked much more attractive and will just do our own thing next time we go.

Ports

All the ports are worth going to, the best ones were Madeira and Lisbon, the most disappointing Tenerife, but I would definitely do this same cruise again.

Disembarkation

A Lot better than last year which was just a mad crush in the atrium. Everything was smooth and ahead of schedule and we simply got off when we wanted.

Summary

Excellent cruise, we would definitely do it again. After the first day or 2 the weather was fantastic. There was just one night when it was rough, going from Gran Canaria to Cadiz but apart from that it was fine. Travelling over the Bay of Biscay was lake being on a lake, you couldn't even tell you were moving at 20 knots. The staff are fantastic and it is a great way to spend 2 weeks. We were one of the youngest couples aboard (32 and 29) but everyone is very friendly and we would recommend highly to any ages. Less

Read more Oceana cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oceana Review >>

Cabin review: Oceana Large Outside Stateroom with Shower A Deck C304

Spacious, good location, value for money

Love it, its great to finish off the day at the bars along the marina.
Read 281 Lisbon Reviews

Beautiful island, I could definately spend a holiday here.

Wasn't impressed, very built up and the most disappointing stop.
Read 209 Tenerife Reviews