Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by jfroschauer: Norwegian Epic - Studio Cabin - 7-Night E Caribbean

jfroschauer
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Norwegian Epic - Studio Cabin - 7-Night E Caribbean

Sail Date: January 2012

My cruise left out of the Port of Miami and I flew into Ft Lauderdale Airport. It took about 30 minutes to get to the port from the airport. I took SAS Transportation and it cost $20 one way. I would highly recommend SAS Transportation if you're looking for a ride from the Ft Lauderdale Airport to the Port of Miami. It's one of the cheaper options and the drivers are very friendly.

The embarkation process was relatively painless. My only complaint is the constant barking for tips I heard from the gentlemen taking luggage on the dock. Once aboard, it was easy to navigate and find a quick drink. If you're going to spend time in the spa, you should make reservations as early as possible. I did it immediately upon entering the ship.

My cabin was okay. I was in one of the studios on the Epic and it was tiny and cramped but that's what I expected. It was easy to navigate from one place to another but the ship is very big and it may take some time to get totally More acclimated.

St Maarten was our first stop and it was terrific. I did one of the Best of St Maarten excursions and it was a good introduction to the island. It left me with plenty of time to go through the shops and grab some drinks. If you're looking for free wifi or internet access, ask the crew to point you to the best spots.

St Thomas, US Virgin Islands was our next port. It was very nice and since it is a US Territory, my US based cell phone worked without roaming charges. The port area had plenty to do and lots of nice shopping. I would recommend a drink at Senor Frogs right off the peer.

Nassau, Bahamas was our last stop. It was a nice area but I felt like the shopping was a little forced on me the minute I stepped off the boat. It was tough finding internet access.

Disembarkation was a breeze. I would highly recommend the program where you have them transport your bags from the ship directly to the airport. It wasn't too expensive and it was nice to have my hands free. If you're going to try and get breakfast before you leave the ship, be prepared for a mad house. I was by myself and it took me 25 minutes to find a place to sit. It was also a bit breezy and cool at the Port of Miami when we docked. You might want to keep a jacket handy.

The food was pretty good. Cagney's Steakhouse and Moderno Churrascaria were both very good but make reservations. My only complaint is the fact that I was made to feel like an outcast because I was traveling by myself. Honestly, I found the food at the buffet was very good and I probably could've skipped the Cagney's and Moderno Churrascaria.

Overall, my experience was pretty good. I would recommend the Norwegian Epic for solo travelers with the studio cabins. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 12507

The studio cabins seem to be a new cruise concept. The Norwegian Epic is one of the first ships to offer these studio cabins for solo travelers. The cabin itself was very tiny. I'm a tall guy and I felt squeezed into the cabin. I had to ask the steward how to turn on the lights. It involved the use of my key card. If I wasn't careful, it would have been easy to leave my key card and get locked out of my room. I'm not sure why they installed these crazy colored lights. You can set them to one color or you can have them on a rotation. It seemed novel at first but after some time it was just annoying. Storage was at a premium but this seemed common in any of the staterooms not just the studios. The walls were thin and I could hear everything my neighbor was doing.

Miami was the port of embarkation/disembarkation. I flew into the Fort Lauderdale Airport and getting to the Port of Miami was very easy. It took about 30 minutes. If you need a ride from the Fort Lauderdale Airport, I would highly recommend SAS Transportation. They are relatively inexpensive and the drivers I encountered were all very friendly and accommodating. My only complaint is that the gentlemen taking the luggage onto the ship were soliciting tips. I know they're working hard and I'll happily give them an appropriate tip but the pressure from them to give them more money made me very uncomfortable.
Read 161 Miami Reviews

By the end of my cruise, I started to feel like all the beaches looked the same. I wasn't really interested in shopping and that seemed to dominate the port area in Nassau. I did stroll the streets and I found some cool places to enjoy a drink and enjoy the scenery. Now that I have a feel for how these cruises work, I might venture out a little bit more if I go back.
Read 2625 Nassau Reviews

Well laid out and easy access to the ship. The organization of the excursions of the ship could use some work but I'm not sure of any other way for them to do it. I found it helpful to ask crew members I was comfortable with to point out the best places for free wifi and good drinks. This proved helpful because I ran into the crew at a lot of these places. I would buy some of them a drink or two and I saw some subtle perks when I would see them back on the ship.

City Tour

(4)
As a first time cruiser, this seemed like a logical choice to get a good sense of the island. We saw some interesting things and found some great places for pictures but I found myself wondering if I could've spent my money on something a little more exciting.