Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by jfroschauer

Member Name: jfroschauer
Cruise Date: January 2012
Cabin Category: T1

Norwegian Epic - Studio Cabin - 7-Night E Caribbean
My cruise left out of the Port of Miami and I flew into Ft Lauderdale Airport. It took about 30 minutes to get to the port from the airport. I took SAS Transportation and it cost $20 one way. I would highly recommend SAS Transportation if you're looking for a ride from the Ft Lauderdale Airport to the Port of Miami. It's one of the cheaper options and the drivers are very friendly.

The embarkation process was relatively painless. My only complaint is the constant barking for tips I heard from the gentlemen taking luggage on the dock. Once aboard, it was easy to navigate and find a quick drink. If you're going to spend time in the spa, you should make reservations as early as possible. I did it immediately upon entering the ship.

My cabin was okay. I was in one of the studios on the Epic and it was tiny and cramped but that's what I expected. It was easy to navigate from one place to another but the ship is very big and it may take some time to get totally acclimated.

St Maarten was our first stop and it was terrific. I did one of the Best of St Maarten excursions and it was a good introduction to the island. It left me with plenty of time to go through the shops and grab some drinks. If you're looking for free wifi or internet access, ask the crew to point you to the best spots.

St Thomas, US Virgin Islands was our next port. It was very nice and since it is a US Territory, my US based cell phone worked without roaming charges. The port area had plenty to do and lots of nice shopping. I would recommend a drink at Senor Frogs right off the peer.

Nassau, Bahamas was our last stop. It was a nice area but I felt like the shopping was a little forced on me the minute I stepped off the boat. It was tough finding internet access.

Disembarkation was a breeze. I would highly recommend the program where you have them transport your bags from the ship directly to the airport. It wasn't too expensive and it was nice to have my hands free. If you're going to try and get breakfast before you leave the ship, be prepared for a mad house. I was by myself and it took me 25 minutes to find a place to sit. It was also a bit breezy and cool at the Port of Miami when we docked. You might want to keep a jacket handy.

The food was pretty good. Cagney's Steakhouse and Moderno Churrascaria were both very good but make reservations. My only complaint is the fact that I was made to feel like an outcast because I was traveling by myself. Honestly, I found the food at the buffet was very good and I probably could've skipped the Cagney's and Moderno Churrascaria.

Overall, my experience was pretty good. I would recommend the Norwegian Epic for solo travelers with the studio cabins.

Publication Date: 06/01/12