Crown Princess Cruise Review by baillie: Great Ports

Great Ports

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

Arrived in Rome airport about 10:30 and caught cruise transfer bus without any problems. Check In at port went smoothly and in an efficient manner. Went to cabin straight away as it was a little after 13:00 and dropped of carry-on luggage and went to buffet.
Dinner on the first night meet a lovely couple Rob and Susan and attempted to have a conversation but kept getting interrupted at least 10 times by the wait staff. I understand that the goal is try to push packages and get people to spend money...but at least let us get our bearing. Out of this we purchase a wine tasting package.
The wine tasting...well all the wines only one was any good...but we had a hard time hearing the staff giving the instructions because a table of Italian Ladies talked the whole time. And not until the instructor for the class battery to his microphone went out did he ask people not to talk or have side bars so everyone could hear.
Thank you for making the overhead announcement in More English!

The food in the main dinning room was fantastic!
And the food on the buffet was fine if not a little limited in selections. The apples on the ship where bad...bitter, and mealy. The bananas where just nasty. The pineapple and cantaloupe was fantastic and sweet.

Thank you for restricting the areas where smoking can be done. I got to enjoy my balcony without the stench of cigarette smoke.How Crown Princess can Improve:
They need to update their entertainment...it is all very dated.
Although I appreciate the lack of small children running wild on the ship and no animated characters bouncing around...YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR ENTERTAINMENT! Most of the time the Princess Theatre was 1/2 empty because the entertainment was not that good. Get out of the 60's and 70's entertainment.
Another thing: YOUR INTERNET CHARGES ARE OUTRAGIOUS! I understand as we become more frequent users of Princess cruises that free Internet is offered...but 79 cents is ridiculous...get a reasonable daily rate going.
The shopping on the ship could have more selection...felt the options where limited and clothing was dated. Do you really have to carry all of the
perfume? Get more options in there.

Lastly, sent some cloths down to the laundry and two of my husband shirts came back stained. One shirt my husband was going to wear to dinner and I noticed what looked like an oil stain on the silk shirt. Got with the cabin steward and he returned them to laundry to be taken care of...they came back still with stains and discoloring. Laundry tried to say that they did not launder the silk shirt because there was no laundry tag on it. The tag had been pulled off when my husband was going to wear the shirt and why would weleave it on to scratch the back of his neck. Now I have to submit to the company for the damage shirts. In the future I will use the pay washing machines on the ship instead of paying over $70 to get laundry done. Lession learned. Less

Read more Crown Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Crown Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Crown Princess Mini-Suite with Balcony Emerald D203

Generous closet with plenty of hangers and storage space. Bed comfortable, sleeper sofa, balcony, refrigerator, bathtub, flat screen TV. Room located above princess theatre can hear show from room. No rooms across hall due to theatre being located here. Otherwise great location and not a lot of foot traffic.

Egypt Over Night

(5)
Egypt was awesome we purchased the overnight package and really enjoyed ourselves. I would only wish they would have skipped the Sound and Light Show of the Pyramids as it has never been updated since it was started...what in the 60's? Had lunch at the Marriott...best food ever. Set the bar for all other resturants we ate at. After coming back for Cairo...discovered I had been bitten by sand fleas...would recommended taking bounce dryer sheets with you and carry in pockets and rub on feet and legs. Saw the Dr. on the ship and told I was about the 11th person to come to him. Issued me cortisone and a antihistamine. Thanks doctor the bites are almost cleared up.

Athens, we did not take any tours off the boat but went on our own...purchased tickets for the Hop-on Hop-off bus for 20 Euros and purchased our own tickets to the acropolis for 12 Euros. The Hop-on Hop-off bus will take you all over Athens and return you back tot he port. Also the ticket for the Acropolis, hang on to this ticket it will get you into 7 different sites. So if you are on a budget this is a great way to go.

Blue Mosque

(5)
See this site in the morning...why? The smell of foot Oder will not be as bad. But beautiful building

Grand Bazaar

(4)
Istanbul took the 8 hour trip off the boat...saw lots of sites. One issue was the tour guide when we where going in for the rug demonstration would not tell us what time we all had to meet back up. After the rug demonstration found out we had to meet back up in 15 minutes....this left me 15 minutes to go into the grand bazaar! My main reason for going to Istanbul. Great disappointment. Kusadasi, this is a must see port. Not enough room here to discuss.

Hagia Sofia

(5)
Plain simple church...but lovely to see

Topkapi Walking Tour

(5)
A little less time here and more time at the Grand Bazaar. Everyone sat around for 30 minutes after seeing everything.

Basilica of St. John

(4)
Church of St John insteresting...seeking funding for resortation

Ephesus

(5)
What can you say but awesome...can't wait to see when they excavate more and what they discover
Read 80 Ephesus Reviews

House of the Virgin Mary

The virgin Mary's house not a simple place of worship. No photos or taking please as people are there praying.

Had been to location before and Mykonos is a lovely port with great shops and views. Even watched a Tornado in the distance. It was cold and rainy when we visited...shame and the ship left port at 2pm just when all the rain was stopping.
Read 375 Mykonos Reviews

Venice I wish the ship would have given us a better map for this city. Again we did not use any of the ship transportation as this is a very walkable city close to the port. And just a block away from the port is a overhead Train for 1 euro will drop you off at the bus station. Which is really just a 10 minutes walk from the port. This is my third visit to venice and think I have seen enough of this city. At least this time I was not stranded in Venice by my tour agency due to a volcano.
Read 504 Venice Reviews