Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by zuju7591

Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 8A

May cruise
We started our cruise in Galveston, very happy with the way they handle boarding, very smooth and no long waits.

I would like to get right to the "good" and the "not so good" of this cruise based on my 3 cruise experience.

My first cruise was with Carnival out of Ft Lauderdale, It was a beautiful clean ship with a very enthusiastic staff. We loved everything (except embarking in Ft Lauderdale) about it and that is why we chose Carnival again.

Carnival Triumph "The Good"

embarkation - smooth and painless

Cabin - good location, clean, cabin attendants were like ninjas, their service was beyond reproach

Food - buffets were good as well as the specialty grills, pizza and sushi

Dining Room - Excellent food, great service, very happy overall

"The not so good"

Shipboard activities - The usual games and contests carried out in a routine way by the staff. Not a lot of enthusiasm from the staff and who can blame them. They do the same tired old games and activities every cruise. Can someone please come up with some new game ideas and maybe a new line dance? By the end of the cruise I would rather get poked in the eye with a stick than hear the cupid shuffle or the wobble song again. The staff that did most of the games looked like they were just going through the motions to get through it. I believe I actually heard the girl at the movie trivia say "lets get started so we can get this over with and move on to the next one. I believe it is their job to make every activity new and exciting for the cruiser, some people only get to do this once in a lifetime.

The pool deck - The boat is in bad need of refurbishing. Staff did their best to keep it clean but it just looks old and worn.

Music: I love music and I like it a little on the loud side. The music everywhere was really, really loud. Even in the morning when having your coffee relaxing the speaker were blaring 80's rock.

The music performers were adequate, clubs were very weak.

Piano bar - I could only stand to listen to the guy for about 5 minutes. I don't mean to be critical but that is just the truth. The first cruise we took out of Florida had the most amazing piano bar singer, bar was always full and fun. We were greatly disappointed with this one.

The Lobby bar - I pretty much felt the same way about the singer here as the one in the piano bar. Asian male singing hard core country with a very, very forced twang. I could only take a few minutes of it before I had to leave the room.

The best band on board was the Latin band and boy did they know it. They had 2 days off out of our 5 day cruise. When they played they sounded great, but they took lots of breaks and long ones at that. It seemed to me they thought they were a little to good to be playing on the cruise ship.

DJ's - Played party music, pretty good selection but with little to no personality added to the experience.

The disco (club hollywood) - most of the evenings it was filled with kids doing activities in there. It could have been so cool but it just was not. Very few people were going in there. Not even my 21 year old son and his girlfriend wanted to go in there. How hard could it be to make a club seem like a fun place you want to go? I just don't get it.

Cruise director "Tex" - I am not a big show goer but I did go to the talent show in the Rome lounge where I got to see Tex at his best. He is talented and funny. I never saw him again the entire 5 days on board. Not on deck, walking down the halls, not at any of the other games I attended, around the pool. I did however see him on the TV a lot.

Carnival, please take my review to heart. I love cruising out of Galveston and plan to take more cruises in the future.

Publication Date: 05/29/12