Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by dsg560

Carnival Triumph
Member Name: dsg560
Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

Disappointed in Carnival this time ..So many cut backs!
My DH and I love to cruise. We have mostly done the Western Caribbean and love it! I will first give you the good..then the bad..then the ugly. We were on the Empress Deck in a Starboard balcony room.

Good: Crew was very nice and always greeted us. The magic show was great and even the burlesque show was well done. The music throughout the ship which is performed by Carnival employees was really good. We loved the piano bar and had so much fun singing with the awesome piano man Russell. We spent a lot of time in there! He has plenty of energy to keep you busy all night! We enjoyed the ports. We were sort of dreading Progresso and ended up loving this "true to life" Mexican port. The people were friendly and although they did try to sell their goods, once we said "no" they left us alone. We had a margarita and lunch and Buddy's and the went to St Bonnet for a drink a bit later. We felt very safe there and enjoyed the double decker bus as well. Cozumel was the same as it always is...very much a tourist place with the most gorgeous blue water. We weren't there long enough, so we went and enjoyed Panchos Back Yard and then some shopping. Cruise Director, TEX was great! We enjoyed him!

The Bad... WHAT ..no shrimp cocktail every night? Both my DH and I were really disappointed with that! We were told by our server..."no..just one night for shrimp cocktail!" Drinks have gotten really pricey. Some of the fruity ones are $12. We loved our server but the service was overall slow! I'm guessing that to save money, they prob not only cut out the shrimp but they have less servers. We left Cozumel at 3pm... We went to the CD Q&A and found out that they leave so they can return at a slower speed back to Galveston as to save $$$ spent on fuel. "Another Cutback". Although we love to cruise, we also love the port time! Dinner in the dining room was good the first couple of nights and then went downhill from there. By the last night, we didn't see anything on the menu that looked good. We didn't really like the buffet but I will say the burgers and pizza on the deck were good. The shows were mediocre. We liked the magic show but the dance shows were kind of boring as to what we have seen on previous ships. (I usually LOVE the shows). One comedian was funny and the other, not so much..(thats a subjective thing, I know..according to taste.) Overall, just not the best entertainment we have seen. In the past, we have left the shows with a "wow"...this time..we left kinda bored.

The UGLY... CLEANLINESS!!!! Our room carpet was very dirty. I was afraid to go barefoot on it. The mirrors weren't clean and the walls looked dirty. I could overlook most everything above, but this is what sealed the deal of not booking on this ship again. The bathrooms throughout the ship smelled and were dirty too. The worst thing was a sewer smell coming out of our drain. When the ice in our icechest melted, I poured the water down the drain and the smell that came back up at us.. made me feel very sick! The smell along with the room not being very clean really made me a bit uncomfy. The bed was not very comfy and the mattresses felt old.

W always buy the "future cruise credit" but decided not to this time. I think I will try another cruise line after this trip. We would possibly cruise with Carnival again..but not on the Triumph.

Publication Date: 05/28/12