Marina Cruise Review by 3963golfer: Oceania Marina - Nice but not great

Oceania Marina - Nice but not great

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Perhaps our expectations were too high but being our first supposed "luxury" cruise line we were disappointed with the overall quality of food and service we received from Oceania.

First the positives. The ship itself is gorgeous. The decorating is understated but very rich and elegant looking. We loved the size of the ship (1200 passengers). It was very quiet and never seemed crowded in any area. The room staff was very pleasant as were the wait staff in the dining rooms.

Oceania is known for its specialty restaurants and we ate in all four of them. Unfortunately, with the exception of Red Ginger we sent food and/or drink back in the other three. We are not "foodies" and I can't remember the last time I sent food back before this. The quality was fine (not exceptional)but the food was not hot. My potatoes in Jacques (their signature restaurant) were actually cold in the middle. We were continually sending back cappuccino because it was usually lukewarm to More cool.

The main dining room was worse. Twice we received the wrong food and while the waiters argued at their station about the order the correct order was still with them getting cold. Twice we were placed between two tables of twelve who were loud and over-served and when they tried to put us there a third time I refused and said I would wait for a window table. The wait staff was very pleasant but the maitre d's and hostesses were quite cool and disinterested. We found the same attitude at the Destination Services desk and the Dining Reservations desk. These staffs were professional but not personable and no one seemed interested in going out of their way to help. The standard answer was "everything is booked and there's nothing we can do. In talking to a number of passengers on the various tours we went on we found most felt the same way.

Based on this experience, while I liked the size and ambiance of the ship I would not book with Oceania again. Their food quality and level of service was no better than I've experienced on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean and at Oceania' price point I expect more. I do like the smaller ships and will explore the other luxury/near luxury lines because Oceania did not meet that level on this cruise. Less

Read more Marina cruise reviews >>