Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by indychristine

Member Name: indychristine
Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: other
Cabin Category: 5c
See More About: Disney Fantasy Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

The Fantasy Trumps The Dream.....
I posted about 107 pics on my FB page if anyone wants to take a look. If we are not friends you can find me and request my friendship.

Who- Me ( 49 )

DH Doug ( 55)

My DM ( 71)

My DDad (74)

Staterooms- 7156 and 7154 connecting

Dining- Main

Rotation-RAERAAE

Let me start by explaining my title- we cruised on the Dream last Feb/Mar and were not really pleased with a few things, mainly the Quiet Cover area and our service in the MDR. So....we went into this hoping that we would see some changes in the adult area and that our service would be better...they scored high on both!

We left our home in Indiana on Friday morning at 4:30 AM and arrived in Cocoa Beach around 10:30 PM that night. We stayed overnight at the Holiday Inn Express. It is a pretty nice little hotel with a breakfast included ( nothing to write home about).

We left to the ship at 11am with a check in at noon. We realized we were going to be early so we drove around a little and saw Cocoa Beach, we headed to the Port at 11:30, between unloading and parking the car we were right on time for check in and were given the boarding number of 14. They were currently on 9. The terminal was not very crowded, I would say we waited no more than 30 minutes tops. We were on board and already in Palo before 1pm. We changed our reservations with no problem at all and then headed to our rooms. They were not ready yet so we walked around the ship a bit. She is beautiful. Of course very similar to the Dream. By 1:30 our staterooms were ready. We got in, put some stuff away, put our magnets on the door, changed into swimsuits and headed out to deck 11 and beyond! We wanted to get to Quiet Cove and then check out the new expanded adult areas.

Rather than take this day by day I am going to break it down into sections of interest.

Embarkation- a breeze as usual! Disney does it right! As usual it got a little congested near the picture area but it really was not too bad at all.

Disembarkation- Easiest ever! This is our 4th DCL cruise and out 6th overall. This was the best yet. DCL is always easy but the porter that we got was amazing! He got a $40.00 tip from us. Great guy!

Staterooms- both 7156 and 7154 were identical and the same as the rooms we have had in the past. They are deluxe OV with Veranda. They are Port side. We had the room steward unlock and open the connecting veranda which made it nice. As far as smoking goes, our neighbor smoked and yes we smelled it but no it did not bother us too much at all. This is only the 2nd time we have been port side and we have decided we do prefer Starboard side.

Dining- The restaurants were good, as has been our experience on all DCL ships. The new animators palate show was on the last night that we had A on our rotation. It is a really fun show not to be missed! We dinned at Palo for dinner, brunch and High Tea. We love the brunch!! Dinner is always good at Palo, especially for a change on a 7 day cruise, but Brunch is the one meal at Palo that if I missed I would be sad! If you have not done the brunch I highly recommend it. Palo is as beautiful as on the Dream...but I think the Fantasy Palo has the edge. They have the brunch set up in a nice little room in the back off the main dining area rather than in the middle. Very nice. Our server, all 3 times was Milos from Croatia! OMG.....what a great guy! Loved him. As a matter of fact we loved all of our servers so much that we will be requesting the same MDR servers on our cruise in March. :) Our servers in the MDR's were Lilly and Aujuman. LOVED THEM.

Adult area- I LOVE THE CHANGES! Did I say that "loud" enough?! I really do! Funny thing is I didn't get any pics because prior to leaving I had been given so many pics from friends I guess I just forgot! LOL Like I already had them. Anyway......The main area is the same, but when you go up to deck 12 to where Currents is, if you look across from Currents there is a wading type pool by a stage. This pool is used by adults and sometimes by adults with small children. I saw families most of the time in it. Seems crazy being right there in what seems like the adult area but it is what it is. We went to sit there one day because this guitar player/singer was performing on the stage and we really liked him....the idea was to sit in the pool and listen to him, we had done this at Satellite Falls the day before, but there was already a couple with 2 smaller children....we love kids and this would not normally be a problem at all! As a matter of fact we went over knowing they were there, we got in but the kids just would not give us any space and the parents did not care to help out so we left and went over to Currents lounge area and sat. Just be aware.

Satellite Falls was great! We loved it. Soooo many seats, we never had a problem finding one even when there were a lot of people over there. It is on Deck 13 all the way Forward and has a great view and breeze! The wind can be rough at times so they may not have to waterfall on but it was on a lot of the time while we were there. They sometimes have entertainment here too. All in all we loved the changes to the Adult areas! We were a little disappointed with the Dream, mostly because of all of the traffic that the poor design caused, but with so many options on the Fantasy we did not seem to mind! And yes...we noticed the same foot traffic on the Fantasy right away!

Adult Entertainment District- Europa! Loved it!! Much nicer than The District on the Dream! We spent a few nights at Skyline, the bartender, Augusto from Brazil was the same bartender we had on the Dream. We all reintroduced ourselves and then had a great couple of nights! He is the best! Good drinks and conversation. We really did not frequent the other clubs, but walked through them. And Loved the little "cafe" area outside of La Piazza! So nice! And the bathrooms! I have pictures of the mosaic murals!! You must see!

Room Steward- his name was Enrique and he was OK. Nothing special happened that I can really speak about. He did leave ice every day! LOL But he was like the invisible man! We hardly ever saw him!

Cruise Director- Ray Smale this is our 3rd cruise with him. He was as great as ever!

Captain Marco was our Captain and he was exceptional! Within an hour or so after leaving port he made the decision to turn around and head back to port due to a medical emergency. The coast guard met us and took the patient. We knew something was going on but they handled things so well that you hardly noticed. We had 3 medical emergencies before the first day was over...one being in the terminal before we left. Then the first night we were woke up at 5:30AM by someone on the loudspeaker asking crew to come to a certain stateroom. Scared the crap out of us! I think it was a mistake to have it broadcasted in the staterooms. At any rate we found out later that it was also a medical emergency! Other than these few things the cruise was incident free. Well..........

Ports-

Overall regarding ports I am not in any great hurry to do a western again. I enjoy the Eastern much more.

The cruise was great! We will continue to cruise DCL. We booked on board for a 7 day Eastern in March for our 13th anniversary! Got a Starboard side room this time :) After we returned I read a post where someone was suggesting that you not book on board, that it is not worth it. Saying you get a better deal if you wait until closer to your cruise. With all due respect to that person, I do not agree. At least from our experience. We got a good deal with $350 OBC and only a $300 deposit. I checked online and we saved over $300 by booking OB. I know not a huge amount but its good. And I have never known DCL to lower rates close to the sail date unless you are CM or FL residents which we are neither. I will keep my eye on this and see what happens.

Thanks for reading!