Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by travellover3868: Amazing Alaska

Amazing Alaska

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

My husband and I took the Celebrity Infinity 7 night round trip cruise to Alaska beginning May 11. What a trip! Alaska is completely amazing. It was cold, but so worth it! We were in the new Aqua Class and in cabin 9101. The room was fine, the bathroom tiny, but well-appointed. I especially liked the jetted shower in the tiny space. The deck was very nice and we enjoyed time out there, even though it was cold.

After waiting in endless lines to get on to the ship (I thought Aqua Class allowed for some kind of express boarding - but I think now), once we did get on the boat we went to our cabin and were pleasantly surprised to find a bottle of chilled champagne waiting for us. In Seattle, it was warm enough to drink it on the deck while we waited to leave port. What views of the majestic Mount Rainier and the Olympic Mountains and the Puget Sound from our deck!

Being Aqua Class, we had fresh flowers in the room, bottled water every day, fresh herbal tea every More day, luxurious robes, slippers and other little perks that were very nice.

We left two hours later than expected, but who cares? We were there to relax! Once at sea, the fun began. We completely enjoyed the Martini Bar with the "Flair Bartenders"! I've never seen anything like it before - and how fun! They made drinking martinis even more fun! They would dance and juggle the vodka bottles, toss the garnishes and even leap upon the counter to pour six martinis at once! My goal was to try every martini on the menu, but alas - I could not do it! I did try, though! Celebrity did advertise a caviar bar, but when we tried to order some, we were told it was unavailable. A little disappointed in that, but who cared after another martini?

Since we were Aqua Class, we dined in Blu, a less-crowded restaurant. We had the later dining time and usually were lucky enough to be seated by one of the huge porthole windows. While dining, we saw whales, dolphin, mountains, beautiful blue oceans .... and met some interesting people. We had a table for two, but often would strike up a conversation with the table for two next to us. The food in Blu was wonderful. The service in Blu was even better! I will never forget Donovan from Jamaica - he would say "Donovan is my name; service and entertainment are my game!"

The second day was at sea on rather rough seas. We were fortunate to not have any seasick issues, but others were not so lucky. Someone lost their cookies on the pool deck, and we almost stepped in it, but it was quickly cleaned up. I must say that Celebrity takes cleanliness seriously. Everything was always clean and every day I would see staff members wiping down hand rails, elevator button and such. It did give me comfort to know they mean business when it comes to keeping a clean ship.

We went to the Naturalist's lectures several times while on this cruise. Brent Nixon. Wow! He is amazing - he had all ages completely engaged in his talks about eagles, whales, seals, and other animals. He was fantastic! We also enjoyed the class we went to that was given by the Apple representative on board - it was quite informative.

Our first port of call was Ketchikan. While in Ketchikan we went on the Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer. How amazing! We saw bald eagles, seals, dolphin, Eddy Rock and tons of beautiful scenery. It was cold and a bit rainy, but it was absolutely amazing. After the wonderful tour we made our way back to the ship and changed for dinner. Had before dinner drinks at the Martini Bar, completely entertained by the flair bartenders and then on to dinner at Blu.

Our second port of call was Juneau. We were supposed to take the float plane tour over the glacier fields and then go to a lodge for a salmon bake, but unfortunately the weather was so bad that the pilot had to cancel the entire trip. A huge disappointment. This was the first excursion we had booked and the one we had looked forward to the most. But, things happen. We walked into town and were stopped on the way by a kind stranger asking us if we would like the tram tickets that he and his wife were not going to use! So, thanks to a complete stranger, we did have an adventure in Juneau. It just wasn't the adventure we had thought it would be. The tram was fun, going to the top of Mount Roberts, passing eagles' nests along the way. It was very rainy and cloudy, so we really couldn't see much of Juneau. We puttered around at the top for a while and made our way back down. We had dinner at The Twisted Fish. Interesting coconut salmon. It was good to get out of the rain and warm up a bit. Got back to the boat rather late and just wanted to dry out and chill for the evening.

The next morning we went through the amazing Tracy's Arm Fjord. Wow - an amazing journey to see the glacier! The captain had to slow the boat down a bit due to the number of icebergs littered along the still blue waters! I've never seen so many hues of blue! And on the ice shelf there were hundreds of seals! It was cold, but best to be out on deck to see this magnificent wonder! One thing I never did understand is when I asked for cocoa from one of the staff wandering around, offering cocoa in a commemorative cup, I was told I could not have one. I did have a premium drink card and when I gave that to him, he immediately refused me. Ok - so what if it was not covered? I still wanted one and would pay extra for it, but he could not do it. So, I never did get my cocoa during this time in Tracy's Arm Fjord. Oh well.

Later that day we docked at Skagway. Here we took the White Pass Scenic Railway excursion. Wow. I felt like I entered a time warp into yesteryear! The train reminded me of the train in the movie The Polar Express. Even the conductor and brakeman resembled the characters in the movie. I do wonder if this was on purpose. This was a beautiful and scenic train trip through amazing mountains and across the US border into The Yukon Territory into Canada. Hard to imagine how difficult this trip must have been for the gold miners in the gold rush days. It was snowing pretty hard while we were up there. There were snow drifts over 10 feet that we went past. The scenery - the scenery! I got some fantastic pictures. When we got back into Skagway, we chose to wander around the quaint little town for a while. We had lunch at the Bonanza Bar and Grill and took a look at the Red Onion Saloon. What a fun, fun day!

The next day was at sea, and again rough waters. We did not experience seasickness at all, but there were barf bags everywhere on the ship. We used this day to relax on the ship. We decided to have a couples massage in the spa. This was probably the worst spa experience I've ever had. We showed up for our appointment and checked in. We were given skimpy little robes to change into. The women's dressing room was on the other side and I had to go through an elevator lobby to get back to the spa. I don't understand why we had such crappy little robes - the ones in our cabin were much, much nicer. This one was so skimpy that I decided against completely disrobing until I got into the treatment room. We were given no slippers or flip flops to wear - isn't this some kind of health hazard to have to wander around a spa barefooted? After I walked though the elevator lobby wearing only that skimpy little robe to get back to the check-in desk, we were shown to a "waiting" area. Hmmm - this area was right behind the workout room and all kinds of people were walking through while we had to sit there half naked waiting for our massage. Two men stood walked by and decided to stand there and have a conversation in Spanish about how "hot" the women were who were working out. I guess they didn't know or didn't care that I understood every lewd word they were saying. That made me even more uncomfortable. I almost decided to go back into the dressing room and put my clothes back on until we got into the treatment room. Thank goodness the people showed up about then to give us our massages. The massages were fine, but the spa experience was not. After our massages, I took a back way into the women's dressing room, but still had to walk half naked through public areas. I will never ever have a massage on a Celebrity cruise again, especially if the ships are all designed in this manner. What an awful experience. After that trauma, we went and spent some time in the Persian Garden Room of the spa. It is a room designed with a dry spa (not a wood Scandinavian style room, but a huge dry heat room), a Turkish bath and an herbal steam room. That was pleasant, but a bit crowded.

That evening we had reserved dinner at the SS United States. What an incredible dining experience! We had a table right next to a huge porthole and saw a pod of Orca whales along with dolphin swim right past our table! We chose the five course meal that had each course paired with wine. Three hours later, we finally waddled out of the dining room! I highly recommend doing that once on your cruise.

The next evening we were in Victoria, British Columbia. It was fine, but after all the natural beauty we had experienced, it was a bit of a letdown to be back in "civilization" again. Oh well, all good things must come to an end, I suppose.

The next morning we lingered for a last breakfast in Blu and then, sadly, had to leave the ship.

I do recommend Celebrity, despite the terrible spa experience. The service is fantastic. The ports were amazing. The food was excellent. The entertainment was fabulous. Less

Read more Celebrity Infinity cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Infinity Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Infinity Concierge Class Panorama Deck (8) 9101

Tiny bathroom with a slightly sewage smell. Loved the jetted shower, tiny as it was. Enjoyed the fresh flowers, water and tea in the room. Nice balcony - wish the overhang was not so large, as it obstructed views of the magnificent scenery we cruised through.

Float Plane

(1)
Cancelled due to weather.

Mount Roberts Tramway

(3)
Given tickets by a kind stranger while walking into the town after our float plane had been cancelled.

Misty Fjords Wilderness Cruise

(5.5)
Fantastic with wonderful wildlife and scenery. Got incredible photos.

White Pass Scenic Railway

(5.5)
A fairytale type of trip with amazing scenery and so much snow! Pituresque and incredibly fun!