Thomson Dream Cruise Review by deepsix: The German Prison Cruise

The German Prison Cruise

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Barbados

Great having checked cases in UK and to not see them again until the cabin, however after a long old flight, dehydrated had to cram onto a small mini bus for the 40 mins journey to the port, however bus stank of sweat! we were then made to wait on the bus for approx 20/30 minutes whilst they attempted to clear the queues for registering to board. This was done in what could only be described as a cow shed, it reminded me of the days my grand father used to take me to the abotoir for a day out. Ok we were given a drink however I felt we were treated like animals as we weaved up and down. Not good thomsons, first impressions count.

at last we arrived at the cabin, expected no luggage and i just fancied a nap but did not want to miss anything.

this was our first time on the Dream chosen for the fantastic itinery, however soon let down once we explored the ship. All the bars were next to each other, I could not believe it, no place for a quiet drink apart from your cabin More and even then the neighbours were extremely noisy.

The first night we decided we would eat in the Lido, never have been let down by this on the Spirit and Celebration. Got there early to try and avoid the rush, but then people arrived out of the woodwork looking over your shoulder to see what was there, pushing and shoving resembled Butlins. the seating arrangement was awful. I sat down with my family, my and friends people then were learing over the back of the seats staring at us and this made us feel really uncomfortable, so much so my wife stopped eating and we left.Just to make a point, it's not just other passengers but you are haunted by the staff in this Lido, wondering where they all come from? The rest of the holiday was spent in the restaurant which was really nice.Lunches and breakfasts were taken in Sirens and were pleasurable until disturbed by some other guest who wanted to chat.

I had booked all inclusive and usually we are nightowls however this ship put us off Thomsons so much so we are not booking this year after 6 years continuous cruising with them. We do not like the shows prefer quiet drinks watching the world go by like in Horizons or explorers on the other ships mentioned.If you like working mens clubs and butlins then this ship is for you, we are not snobs but the ship is set up all wrong.

Lido deck area on this particular cruise was extremely noisy, being a northerner myself was quite embarrassed to hear people who liked the sound of their own voices. I went on this cruise to relax in a peaceful environment, some passengers did get the hint and moved to where the Thomsons rep continuously shrieked down the mic up at the pool deck.
Anyone that likes the normal Thomson ships ie: Spirit and her Sister Celebration should stay clear on the Dream as people we spoke to seemed to be once regulars from the Ocean Village. Only 1200 passengers on our cruise yet ship felt over subscribed.

The staff were as good as other Thomson ships but could not make up for our disapointment. Less

Read more Thomson Dream cruise reviews >>