Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Northern sailor

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Northern sailor
Carnival Liberty
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Standards Sinking
My first ever cruise was on Carnival Legend four years ago and since then I have had another six cruises on other cruise lines basically as a result of the outstanding service experienced on Carnival.

My wife's two sisters decided they wanted to try cruising so we choose Carnival again on the Carnival Liberty totall expecting them to be delighted with the cruise. This was far from the truth.

On boarding the ship there was no greetings, no staff to answer questions other than those hastening you through to the Lido buffet. Once in the buffet there were no waiters to order drinks from.

In the evening there were no waiters in the Theatre or at either the bar areas on DEcks 3 and 5 resulting in us standing in queues at the bar.

In the restaurant we were not given the customary greeting by the staff and service was at the best just acceptable. The food was luke warm and of poor quality and the dress code non existent.

At breakfast the next day we asked to be seated at a table for six on our own only to be told we had to sit where we were put. It was 9am and we received a cup of coffee, orange juice and water and placed our order. No one came near until I complained at 9 35. No coffee, water or juice refills and no food either. When the food arrived it was the wrong order.

The service in the restaurant did improve during the week but the food quality did not.

The drinks waiter service continued to be nearly non existence and to make things worse Carnival charged me 15% gratuity for the self service.

My wife's sisters have already decided that cruising is not for them and whilst I am not saying I will not cruise again I will not sail with Carnival.

Carnival's sister cruise lines Costa has made headlines with ships damaged and sinking and it Looks like Carnival are following suit with the rapid decline in their standards. Perhaps Carnival have reposisitioned themselves as the Ryanair of cruises with a no frills offering. If so why do they still claim to have standards?

Publication Date: 05/27/12