Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by CanUSACruzer

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by CanUSACruzer
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: CanUSACruzer
Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda

Summit Solsticized
We just got off the Summit to Bermuda. We were in Aqua Class. Embarkation was a breeze. We were taken to a separate room and were checked in within 10 minutes. Lunch at Bistro on Five and our cabin was ready.

Our cabin was Aqua 9100. I was a little concerned with numerous reports of noise from above, however we didn't have any real issues with noise. In fact, the location was ideal, up a quick flight to the buffet, right next to the library, and steps to the elevators. Our only issue with this cabin is the balcony was very very small. One side of the balcony was barely wide enough for the chair to sit sideways and along with a small table and another chair, there really wasn't any room to move. I'd say we had less than half the balcony space we had on Aqua Class on the Solstice. And on Solstice we had foot stools! Also, the overhang was HUGE! Our cabin steward Princia (sp) (we called him Prince) was excellent. Always attentative but never intrusive. Met us several time in the hallway and opened the door for us when our hands were full. Next time I think I would try and book the newer cabins on deck 11. However, the last 2 nights at sea were pretty rough and I was thinking they must really be rocking and rolling way up top and at the back of the ship, lol.

I also agree with many of the comments about Blu. For the most part, the food was fantastic and the service was great, but the tables really are toooo close for comfort. We often felt as though we were intruding on our neighbors conversations. Definately not the venue for a romantic dinner, lol. However, if you do happen to arrive when they are not crowded you can pretty much choose your own table. They are most accommodating with special requests (within reason, lol). You can order mashed potatoes, french fries, shrimp cocktail, creme brulee just to name a few.

That being said, we also chose to eat in the MDR on two occasions, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Burgers at the pool area were also good. We did try the buffet a couple of times for lunch and were somewhat disappointed. We found it confusing and hard to find things we were looking for. I only wish they would have had more of a late night selection. We were late casino players and if we wanted a snack, there really wasn't anything other than pizza available. Room service is available.

We did try Qsine. Yes it was fun and the food was yummy, however we are not big eaters and with only the two of us, we really didn't get a chance to try many of the items offered.

We never found an issue with crowding on the ship. Always space at the martini bar, never a problem finding a table at the buffet. Went swimming in the T-pool during dinner hour and we had the place to ourselves .

My only real disappointment with the ship was the size of the casino . . . TINY and the lack of more traditional slot machines.

Bermuda is a beautiful island. We first day we took the ferry and spent the day shopping in Hamilton. Very $$$ The second day we took the Dockyard Trolley Tour in the morning (lasts about 1 1/2 hrs) and rented a taxi for a trip to St. George's in the afternoon. Our taxi driver was a great tour guide! The last day we spend just wandering around the dockyard on our own. A word of advice, if depending on using the free trolley, be prepared for a wait. The trolley would stop to pick up passengers at the NCL ship first, leaving little room for those waiting at our stop.

Disembarking was just as easy. Aqua class guests met in Michaels, they called our number, and we were off the ship and through customs within minutes.

We did a short (3 hr.) post NYC Manhattan tour. Celebrity does offer a NYC tour but only for those who have flights leaving after 4:30 PM. We used a gentleman we met at the airport who offered private car service. He met us outside customs, and showed us all the highlights of Manhattan. I was able to knock quite a few things off my "bucket list" of things I wanted to see.

All in all, I loved the Summit and would not hesitate to sail her again. In fact, other than the size of the casino, I'd say she was my favorite ship so far. Think I'll check to see where she will be sailing to next

Publication Date: 05/27/12