Viking Danube Cruise Review by ronay55: Surprising Holland AND Belgium!

ronay55
Member Since 2009

Surprising Holland AND Belgium!

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Amsterdam

First time in Holland and Belgium for myself and a friend (we have traveled many places), and this turned out to be one of our top 10 favorites, ever. Much of that enjoyment is directly owed to the shipboard staff and crew of the Viking River Cruise organization.

We visited many places and sights in addition to the main ports listed in our itinerary. In most cases, it was as though we were transported directly back, 600 or 700 hundred years in time, to towns and countryside left enough intact for us to step into the life we had only glimpsed in the paintings of those times. It was truly dramatic and beautiful.

I had a number of favorites: Hoorn with it's 14Th century inner harbor and main square, Antwerp's MAS Museum, Cathedral of Our Lady, and Royal Museum of Fine Arts. Of course, Amsterdam has more to see than one can even remember, and has quite an interesting culinary history. Just outside of Amsterdam, we were thrilled to experience the tulips and other blooms More of Keukenhof Gardens, right at their peak. The windmills, dikes, bicycle culture and friendly people, also added to an outstanding experience.

We took the 2-day pre-extension offered by Viking, to explore a bit on our own. We were billeted at the Hotel Moevenpick, which was quite nice, but convenient ONLY to the ship. To reach the sights, it was a 15-20 minute cab ride from the hotel to most chosen destinations, or one could take the free hotel shuttle (running every 30 min.) to the Central Station. From there we could then pick up a tram for transport to various city sights. Had we been in town, it would have allowed us to easily sample much more of the local culture, and the unique flavor of the city and it's friendly inhabitants.

I would probably rate the overall cruise a 9-out-of-10, but as I mentioned, 10++ goes to the incredibly capable, friendly, cheerful, accommodating, resourceful and patient-beyond-belief, staff and crew. Every day was carefully considered and orchestrated, to maximize the choices and experiences of the guests, whether from escorted excursions, or independent exploration, to culinary efforts, and many other on-board comforts. They kept everything running smoothly, with a low-key and open style.

They were also, without exception, unfailingly kind, and always there with the solution to almost any difficulty or problem. For instance, my friend left her purse (with EVERYTHING in it), on a bench in front of a major tourist cathedral, but didn't discover it missing until she reached the return excursion bus. Michael (Brauner) and Katya happened to be with us, and quickly phoned a guide who was with a group not far behind. He was able to trace and recover the purse intact! Their quick thinking probably saved my friend's entire trip!

Our cabin accommodations were in stark contrast to the personnel. Although we could always count on a whistle clean space, it was VERY cramped, with our mattresses having long since seen better days. The cabin "decor" also left a lot to be desired. The overall impression reminded me of something done up in "a plain brown wrapper."
The bedside tables were thin, stained-wood squares which were somehow attached to the wall. Flimsy, poorly-lit lamps sat atop each one, and one sad chair had been jammed into a space next to one of the beds, but couldn't be used if the bed was also occupied. I understand the Danube was on it's last sail, and would no longer be a part of the Viking fleet. Good decision! Also, we were assigned to what was probably the last reservation of a fully booked cruise, so I didn't expect a GREAT cabin. Even so, this was about the least inviting I'd seen.

So, that's our story, and it was a good one! I know I will return to the Netherlands and Belgium again, and will probably repeat the river cruise experience. It is a trip with little or no worry, traveling mostly while you are sleeping, so your day experiences are maximized. I'll never forget the beauty of the countries and the people and the chocolates! Less

Read more Viking Danube cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Danube Review >>

Cabin review: Viking Danube 105

I should in fairness, first mention we were probably the last reservation on a fully booked cruise, so I didn't expect a GREAT cabin. Even so, this was about the least inviting I'd seen. Our accommodations were in stark contrast to the stellar personnel. Although we could always count on a whistle clean space, it was VERY cramped, and our narrow-width bed mattresses had long since seen better days. The cabin "decor" also left a lot to be desired. The overall impression reminded me of something done up in "a plain brown wrapper." The bedside tables were smooth, thin wood squares, which were somehow attached to the wall. Flimsy lamps (they kept falling over and were poorly-lit), sat atop each square, so we couldn't really use the squares to rest our books or a glass of water. There was one sad chair which had been jammed into a space next to one of the beds, but couldn't be used if the bed was also occupied. I didn't mind that we were at the water line, even though our window bottom was sometimes even with the water. Strange water effects when moving, with port or canal views of the stone walls and canal locks, but as I said, that was okay. I understand the Danube was on it's last sail, and would no longer be a part of the Viking fleet. Good decision!

Rembrandt House

(5.5)
The cruise line offered many different walking tours or coach excursions in Amsterdam. I took two, to the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum. I walked a lot on my own, just exploring the streets and flower markets, restaurants and architecture, including the Rembrandt House. It was a special holiday time in Holland (the Queens Celebration), and the peak of Keukenhof Gardens, so Amsterdam was packed with tourists and citizenry! I wasn't able to visit inside Anne Frank's house, as the lines were 2 and 3 blocks long. .

Windmills Driving Tour

It was an overcast day, with dramatic clouds in the distance, which formed a perfect backdrop for the windmills. We were allowed to visit a working windmill, to see how families can live and work in these odd structures.

(5.5)
My favorite place to visit in Antwerp turned out to be perhaps one of the newest examples of stunning architecture, in a city bursting with old and new. It was the MAS Art Museum! I was in awe of the structure alone, with it's stories-tall undulating glass windows, against an austere stack of concrete(?) slabs. That is the only way I know to describe it. The art is innovative in the way it is presented, displaying Masters and Contemporary pieces, side by side. Strange, but oddly complimentary to one another. It has to be seen to understand what I'm talking about. Take in the other sights, but don't miss this one.
Read 22 Antwerp Reviews

A perfect medieval stroll, with a Harry Potter feel. Sounds hokey, but it's far from it. A wonderful place to sample chocolate at it's Belgian best, while checking out the canal (Dijver), and taking in a local street market, where you can find street food or vegetables. There is also a 13th century Bell Tower in the main square, which I think you can climb (I did not)to get a birds-eye view of the small city. The streets (like many of the towns and cities) are cobblestone, so make sure you are wearing really comfortable shoes. Lots of great places to eat, and if it's a pretty day, you can sit outside at one of the cafes along the canal.