Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by rafaelandrezo

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by rafaelandrezo
Allure of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Member Name: rafaelandrezo
Cruise Date: March 2012
Cabin Category: C2
Dining 5+

Fantastic ship! Disappointing honeymoon due to high winds!
Well, I won't be very long as you'll find more detailed reviews than mine, but we chose the Allure of the Seas for our honeymoon and sailed away on March, 4rd. On the first cruise we took on June 2011 (Majesty of the Seas) on a much smaller ship we had no problem whatsoever with seasickness, we were just fine, had loads of fun and we were eager to enjoy the biggest ship in the world this time around.

Unfortunately for us, this time we arrived on a VERY windy week on southern Florida, over 30-35mph. However we weren't very concerned at first, as it was the biggest cruise ship ever made and I have heard loads about the on board technology of this ship that prevents it from dangling too much.

The embarkation was a breeze, they really are awesomely organized and everything was very smooth. Entering the ship was absolutely amazing, everything was large, beautiful, just astonishing. Loads of eating venues. We went straight to the Park Cafe and grabbed a made-to-order delicious salad and a very savory-tasty roast beef sandwich. Amazing food! We then went for our stateroom, a cabin with veranda facing the Central Park. Also amazing, great space, loads of drawers and very smart design for storing our stuff. We were truly dazed... but that lasted until the ship began to move. Due to the winds the ship was swinging an AWFUL LOT! I couldn't believe a ship that size could be swinging so much. You could really se in peoples faces they weren't comfortable with such movement. I myself didn't feel nauseous at all, I was just bored because it was very shaky and it didn't ever stop. But my wife was getting REALLY sick, and it ruined our whole trip unfortunately. We could only enjoy the times when we were docked, as soon as the ship went back on the sea the shakyness continued and she would be always very sick, the third day was a disaster as we spent the whole day sailing, she couldn't even get out of her room. The fourth and fifth days would be fine as we would be docked on St. Thomas and St. Maarten, but the last 3 nights and 2 days would be at sea, so we decided to leave the ship on St. Maarten and catch a plane back to Miami because she wasn't very keen on spending this entire time on the sea, during our honeymoon, feeling so sick and nauseous. It was such a shame, as a great number of other fellow passengers were having the same trouble. On the cupcake decorating class 3 or 4 chairs were empty because people were feeling too sick to enjoy the class, and I overheard many people saying that at least one of their relatives were feeling too sick to step out of the room. Even the staff which usually are used to this kind of things were complaining that they needed to substitute some of their colleagues due to seasickness.

I really don't understand much of the mechanics involved on stabilizing the ship but I really could have never imagine a ship that size could swing so badly. It was really disappointing planning our honeymoon carefully, spending 3 thousand dollars on a stateroom, paying specialty restaurants on advance and then not being able to enjoy any of this. We had a reservation for 150 Central Park and I had to go all by myself, it is very sad to be on your honeymoon and not be able to enjoy it with your spouse. In the end we left the ship with a sour taste in our mouths, as we really wanted to enjoy the ship at its most and we simply couldn't due to the poor weather.

Next time we will be very careful with the time of year we sail and we will avoid having entire days sailing at the sea.

Publication Date: 05/22/12