Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by Vonzip: Nice cruise, but just a tad lower in service than the Dream

Vonzip
Member Since 2012
1 Post

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruises

Nice cruise, but just a tad lower in service than the Dream

Sail Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Other

We sailed the Disney Fantasy on May 12-18, over Mother's Day weekend. It's a very nice ship, exactly like The Dream, but we were a little disappointed with the service this go round.

Whereas on The Dream we felt like everyone on board treated us like we were the only ones aboard the ship, on The Fantasy, this was not the case. Some of the servers were more nonchalant or inexperienced. The food was the same although not quite up to par, and the desserts were terrible. The head pastry chef has been with Disney for 12 years, and my feeling is that they need new blood and quickly. Our main server was incredibly nice but always forgetting things, often not paying close attention to specific needs I had with my food allergies which can be fatal. The assistant server was nice, but often paranoid, always asking why we missed dinner one night (we were at Palos) or fishing for why we didn't like specific dishes. By the end of the cruise, she dismissed my Mother's comment that she had More not been served her beverage in a timely manner, smugly saying "I heard you." Other servers were wonderful as expected, and bent over backwards for us.
I noticed that the employees in kids club which is very well run were quite young and inexperienced. One young girl working there was rude to my 5 yo when she climbed on something and made her feel so badly that my child didn't want to return again. We enjoyed the shows like Believe which was incredible, Broadway- styled entertainment, and the movies were really good, too: The Avengers was playing. The excursions were disappointing, though, with Cozumel feeling like a small tourist trap. We really enjoyed the private island Castaway Cay, as always, and it was the highlight of our cruise. The pool areas were always over crowded, and the ship felt a bit overbooked to me. I would definitely recommend Disney if you have children, but try the Dream or The Magic/Wonder ships instead. I heard that some of the employees on the Fantasy were newer to Disney and maybe this was why we experienced service issues this go round. Normally Disney's service is wonderful and never disappoints. Overall it was a really nice cruise, I just had higher expectations from Disney after having been so pleased in the past.

I should also mention that the Bippidy Boppity Boutique is amazing! It looks like something out of a fairy tale. My daughter had a princess makeover and just felt like the luckiest girl on earth. It's expensive but worth every penny.

I would like to mention that we did have a great experience with an employee named Tim from Germany who works in merchandise. He asked my daughter to promise she would give kids club another try, and when she did and returned to tell him about it, he gave her two of his Disney pins for her collection. He later sent her an award for being a brave girl and sent another two pins to our room. It was definitely a magical moment, one my daughter will never forget. Less

Read more Disney Fantasy cruise reviews >>