Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by yippieskippy

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by yippieskippy
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: yippieskippy
Cruise Date: April 2012
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean

Mediocre Experience
The reputation of Celebrity Cruise lines had me at high expectations, but the Summit falls short in many areas, mainly in the food, and ambiance.

In my past experience, I've had an extremely pleasant experience on a Princess cruise that took me to the Eastern Caribbean and I basically chose this particular cruise due to the ports that the Summit was stopping in the Souther Caribbean (St. Croix, St. Kitts, Dominca, Grenada and St. Thomas). In the simple areas such as food, ambiance, and website that these were areas to work on.

Food - Cruises are known for having great food and excelling in the dining experience. My friend and I are foodies and currently live in DC where we can basically walk out and grab a fabulous bite to eat. The food was completely dissapointing and were both appalled that the food in the dining room (we had done anytime dining) was usually salty, covered in a brown sauce, and was nothing to write home about. Aside from the food, our first time in the dining room on formal night we were in there for about 2.5 hours - basically they sat all 8 tables of 2 to our waitress at one time which slammed the service. Another annoying point was the beverage taker would only show in the beginning of service and if you wanted anything else you basically had to chase someone down in the restuarant. On nights we ate later in the night we had much more attentive service, but in the past I've never had a problem. I would like to point out that the fruit and vegetables did not seem fresh at all as the 5 fruits they offered and the salads from the salad bar seemed limp and grayish. My friend and I had one wonderful meal on the boat (we ate at both specialty restuarants at Qsine and Normandie) and it was at Normandie, but then again this was on the last night and there was an empty restaurant. The food in Qsine is impressive and presentation is super amazing, but at times our dishes we ordered were just overcooked or felt like they were cold and then sitting under a heat lamp for awhile. I would like to point out the highlight of the boat, was most definitely the Martini bar, Coffee and Gelato stands - all of course extra. Overall, the food was very dissapointing on the celebrity Summit.

Ambiance - the Summit is a remodeled boat. Often we have had people at our table (we would choose to sit in any configuration) and many of the people we have met were impressed with the new renovations on the boat and how they did not recognize the ship at times. But as a first time guest, the interiors were nice, but much maintenance was being done on a regular basis. I cannot say there was a time where I did not see someone painting the exterior of the boat - I completely understand that the sea water is harsh, but I can tell a lot of maintenance is used on a daily basis. In my review of ambiance, I would like to mention my cabin. I had an interior room on the 8 deck, my friend and I did not spend too much time in there was we were always on the top deck or on the side decks on level 4, but I must say I was appalled that there was a hole in the wall of my shower next to the shower dial. While the bathroom did look dated, I would say the rest of the cabin was quite comfortable and had a good layout for such small quarters.

Publication Date: 05/22/12