Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by JMRZ

Norwegian Jewel
Norwegian Jewel
Member Name: JMRZ
Cruise Date: April 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: SC
See More About: Norwegian Jewel Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+

Fabulous
This is the second cruise my family & I have gone on with Norwegian Cruise and like the last time we had a "great" time. Our first cruise with Norwegian was to Bermuda out of N.Y. aboard the "Dawn" and we enjoyed it so much we signed up with rewards for another and this time we chose Fla. & Bahamas cruise out of N.Y. aboard the "Jewel". Both times we booked a 2 bedroom family suite that had butler & concierge service. I have to say while we thought our "Butler" terrific the first time, this time our Butler "Juremar" was by far utterly fantastic as was our Concierge Ruth. We have several members of our family who has disabilities and/or health issues and Norwegian accommodated us in every way. Not only did they accommodate us, my parents had a connecting mini-suite which did not include the complimentary free breakfast & lunch everyday at the specialty upscale restaurant "Cagney's" and after I informed them that they could not be left alone and the rest of us who had the benefits wanted to avail ourselves of "Cagney's", they accommodated my parents as well.

We left on a Saturday and weather was nice and sailing smooth. Next day we hit into a storm and had rough seas and I'd say a good majority of the ship became seasick but the staff dealt with this in a positive way so much so that you didn't let that sour the cruise. For our part, my daughter who is autistic became extremely seasick & didn't want to leave the cabin (mostly since she spent a good deal of time by the toilet). Juremar our butler without even so much as a request from us took it upon himself to bring an assortment or food in case I or my daughter got hungry. When he saw she wasn't eating he then came back with extra ginger ale & some crackers to help with the nausea. Our steward even put on a puppet show with the towel animals he made to cheer her up! One member of our family has a mobility disability & wore braces & had a scooter but was unable to use the scooter getting off ship for excursions & Ruth our Concierge always made sure someone came with a wheelchair & helped escort her off & on.

We also had some diet restrictions and no matter where we chose to eat so long as we told them a day before they made sure to advise the chef of our special dietary needs and they too were accommodated. Some family members had been on other cruise lines prior to Norwegian and they said they never experienced as attentive and willingness to make sure passengers/guests are pleased than they did on Norwegian. Once we got past the rough seas and to Fla. it went well. Some of us did the Disney Magic Kingdom pkg. & we enjoyed ourselves as did the other members who chose the Kennedy Space Center. I will say thought that doing Disney in a few hours is totally exhausting and since its a hour & half bus ride both ways to the park from the port & ship, you don't get to really enjoy much as much since you don't get into Fla. till noon, so unless you've done Disney before & know pretty much what you want to do & where it is I wouldn't advise this excursion. The Kennedy Space Center was a better option for those interested in that subject.

In Great Stirrup Cay, while our tender to the private island wasn't cancelled it was extremely windy & the tender very rough ride and most excursions on the island were cancelled, but my son & his wife's Eco-adventure excursion wasn't & they had a ball. The rest of us had a good time at the beach & BBQ provided by Norwegian staff. Our excursion of hippo water slide & our clam shell rental both were cancelled but they fully refunded us. In Bahamas some of us went on Blue Lagoon Sea Lion interaction which was absolutely great & we got great photos & Dvd to relish it all. My son & his wife went on the Junkanoo excursion & they thorough enjoyed that as well.

We mostly ate dinner at Azura & found food excellent. We had breakfast at Cagney's and some days lunch as well. We did go a few times to the garden cafe buffet & found the enormous selection of food to our appeal although on days when it was nasty, it was a bit too cold to eat there as you feel the draft & winds from the open doors on either end. My son & daughter-in-law did Teppanyki & they loved it! The poolside grill was great as well. My daughter was a big fan of the pool slide & we couldn't get her off once she got over her seasickness. We had a great time with Deal Or No Deal & went every time they had it & even won prizes two times. We also went to see the perfect couple which was hilarious and my daughter also enjoyed the meet& Greet w/Sponge-bob & Patrick. She missed Dora because she was ill when that took place. My son & daughter-in-law loved the chocoholic time in Garden Cafe as well.

I did go see Bingo but didn't play (too expensive) but I went & tried my luck in the casino & won a couple of dollars on machines and I liked watching the Texas Hold em games but not brave enough to try & even if I did there was long wait to sit for a game. Dan the Man the entertainment Director was terrific (he's from N.Y. like us :) ) Gorgeous George was great too. The only show we didn't enjoy was the magician/comedian whom none of us thought either funny & really didn't do any magic much to the disappointment of my daughter who expected a magic show & magician like we saw when we were on the Dawn on our cruise to Bermuda. Also I thought some of his jokes...were not geared towards young children and he was more for "adults" or "older kids".

Nickelodeon Slime time was really great & my daughter loved it (especially since she wasn't the one getting slimed lol). Service food, entertainment you can't get any better in my opinion which is why I signed up again for a future cruise :)

Publication Date: 05/23/12