Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by Flowerfruit: 4 Day Cruise on the Norwegian Sky

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

4 Day Cruise on the Norwegian Sky

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Bahamas

This was a belated VDay gift from my BF..so I was truly excited to be going on a vacation for four days to the Bahamas. Just he & I. We had never sailed before on NCL, so we weren't certain what to expect...we weren't disappointed (entirely - will explain later)

We embarked from Miami and it was pretty smooth. Lines were long enough but we were smart to try to get on the boat no later than 2pm. Based on advice from CC, I knew that since we paid for the trip -we should get on the ship as soon as possible to enjoy ever moment of our $$. When we got on, we were surprised to find that our rooms we ready by 1.30 (we had heard that 2 is the usual time). My darling splurged on the "romance package" and they didn't disappoint (we had bottles of wine, champagne, a try of chocolate covered strawberries, a free photograph and dinner at one of the specialty restaurants (he chose Il' Adagio).

We had lunch on the ship on the 1st day(pretty decent) and had our dinner & tried to More figure out the layout of the ship.I did take the recommendations of looking through the Freestyle Daily to get an idea of what we wanted to do (and I brought a highlighter to mark it). That was a great tip and it truly came in handy!
Our 1st stop was Freeport (where I was born) and we chose snorkeling - GREAT Crew...they took their time showing everyone where the great fish were and because I hadn't snorkeled before, they stayed with us a bit until I got the hang of it(then they didn't crowd us). After the excursion, we went back to the boat (napped) and then went to the restaurant he picked side bar - my BF (now Fiance!!) proposed to me - YAY!!!)

The crew at both the restaurant, the customer service, room service, room steward were EXCEPTIONAL! Always smiling and forever pleasant. We never got one ounce of bad service..So they would get high marks from both of us.

Late night food (after 10pm - was HORRIBLE!! Old Pizza, Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, small selection of desserts) YUCK!

2nd Stop was Nassau - we had prepaid for the Skydiving - but it was cancelled (& automatically refunded to our account) so we were flexible and chose the Segway tour but before that tour was available - I took the recommendation of a CC member by going to Senor Frogs - INDEED a GREAT time. FREE SHOTS, FREE DRINKS flowing - great great time so much so, we almost missed our makeup excursion LOL.

This ni9ght we ate in the Palace (not an cover charge restaurant) and decided since we paid for it we each took TWO entrees (we recommend doing it - hell you couldn't get two at any other restaurant) :-)

3rd Stop was NCLs private island - Great Stirrup Cay (the ship stays on the ocean and we take a ferry into the island. It was raining most of the morning - so we cancelled our Kayaking trip (who could see the fish, wildlife, etc) we went back to the boat and decided we would try our hand later - we wound up going back around Noon and the rain had let up so we chose to Kayak (only to find that it had been cancelled for low enrollment) so we chose the Jetski tour - it was a good time. Not long enough - but aren't they all? They took us on a guided tour - but you could go as fast as you wanted.

Each night we caught shows (comedian & ventriloquist were great, saw the Newlywed Show and even took in the Quest game show).

Our only vices: Not enough (non up-charge) places to eat, the $12/day per person for cover charges(which cover tips), Late night food which was not up to par with a late night stop at truck stop restaurant off the highway in a town with no street lights -- Just saying..

All in all, we had a blast and would take an NCL trip - but next time the larger ship.

Oh and we did made it on with our Rum Runners - no problems!!! Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky 6114

Quiet Location, Decent size, conveniently located to elevators & same level as the casino.

Snorkeling

(4)
Crew Members were good, They sold food on the boat and also had souvenirs for sale (cheap and just about OK) We didn't eat the food no reason to spend $$ when we were headed back shortly. We did bring our own water anyway - so we were good.

The Island still needs to be developed better. It was nice but it would have been better if they offered authentic Island food instead of hamburgers, hot dogs & pizza (same as the late night food on the ship). If it weren't raining we could have marked it better - its not NCLs fault BUT it did feel like a waste. We did do the wave runner tour - and that was good (we would rate it a 4)

Segway Tour

(3)
Segways were fun - but the tour was stupid - we went down a sidewalk and by the roads/beaches (nothing GREAT) We would have been better off staying at Senor Frogs and drinking