Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by sonvoltken6: Why did we wait so long?

sonvoltken6
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Why did we wait so long?

Sail Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Other

Embarkation - Yup, everything you read here is true. They have it down to a science, to the point where at 12:45, we dropped our luggage off, parked and were on the ship within 15 or 20 minutes.

Stateroom - We did Central Park. Yeah, it was neat but you get no breeze like you do on the Oceanview Balconies (not sure about Boardwalk). I do like the layout of the room, and the big TVs. TIP #1 - Most of the stuff is on the Aft Side - Windjammer, The Boardwalk, Dining Room, Flow Riders, Zip Line, Aqua Theater, Concierge Lounge, etc. etc. We thought Forward near the elevators was great - and we walked - A LOT! So I recommend being close to the AFT staircases/elevators.

Public Areas - because of the layout, you don't feel like you are on a ship of 6,000 guests. There are multiple pool areas for example, so it never feels crammed even on sea days. There is the Promenade, but it is much wider than say the Voyager or Freedom Class ships. And with Central Park and More Boardwalk, people cross the ship in various ways. In general I found the public areas are mostly nicer and larger than on even the Freedom Class ships. For example, the Windjammer feels much classier than on other ships. The only exception was the Cafe Promenade. We like to get coffee or a Diet Coke and sit in the comfy couches on the Freedom class ships. Here you only have small tables and chairs.

We really appreciated the upgraded amenities in the Concierge Lounge. As Diamond Plus members, we appreciate what RCCI does for us. On the Oasis class they serve (as in table service) lunch and breakfast in the Concierge Lounge. Much nicer than going to the other venues.

If there was one thing I didn't like as much, it was the entertainment. If you are used to heading to the theater after supper for a show, guess again. There are shows some nights in the theater, but not ever night. We took in the Aqua Theater show-good but a bit bizarre, Come Fly With Me-very good, Headliner with Mo5aic-really cool but somewhat short and the Comedy Show (twice) which was hilarious. The last night they had Throw Me a Line, which was an Improv show and was maybe the highlight of the week.

The zip line was fun, and never did we have to wait more than a few minutes. In fact, the last sea day was kind of overcast, so I got to go three times in a row. My son did the Flow Rider nonstop and loved it. The pools were great, though the Solarium was HOT when the sun was out.

Disembarkation is the smoothest I have ever experienced. We wanted an 8 am departure and were out at 8, found our luggage easily and waited in line for Immigration for 10 minutes. Piece of cake!

We really loved the Oasis and in fact booked the Allure for December. This time we are Deck 11, you guessed it, right near the AFT elevator. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Central Park view Stateroom with Balcony Deck 10 12187

See above - our cabin was nice and Mark, our attendant was GREAT. But the Forward cabins are not the way to go. Almost everything is in the AFT section, and I would never book Forward on the Oasis.

The comedian said it best - you take a billion dollar cruise ship and dock it at a garage sale. Not a good port to play punch bug. My wife wanted to visit a Fabric Store, which was 5 blocks south of downtown. We got some good exercise that day, and did buy a few souvenirs. I still love Los Cinco Soles and Touch of Gold.
Read 3099 Cozumel Reviews

Falmouth is another created port, like Costa Maya, but with fewer amenities (no beach, no pool). We went into port and walked around. I bought some sunglasses. Meh.
Read 476 Falmouth Reviews

I like Labadee but didn't really feel like getting off. So we had the ship to ourselves.
Read 357 Labadee Reviews