Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by travelingchef21: A DEFINITE bucket list cruise

A DEFINITE bucket list cruise

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

I would suggest this particular cruise to anyone looking for adventure and ready to go with the flow, especially for those amateur photographers.

We enjoyed every port. I have 2 suggestions:

1-If you do one of the first couple of Alaskan cruises in the season, bring lots of layers that are thin and easy to add or stash in a "port" bag
2-Plan ahead before you leave and excursion for each port. We did this and it made it so much easier to navigate the ports. Plus, we had the advantage of seeing more than the port itself. We did not book through the cruise line but small local businesses we found online.

The Nouveau steakhouse was delicious. We went the first and last night of the cruise. We received a free bottle of wine with our dinner on the first night, which we asked our server NOT to open (which we enjoyed later in the cruise). The escargot, surf and turf, lamb chops, cowboy ribeye, lobster tail, and cheesecake were tasty. TIP: Ask your server for a More cheese plate (with extra crackers) "to go" to take back to your room, yummy!

The comedy shows, hypnotist shows and the big jazz show were all very entertaining.

If you want to truly enjoy glacier bay, I would suggest getting a balcony for your room. Then on that day order room service for breakfast and lunch (45 mins before you actually want it). Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Spirit Balcony Empress 6281

Small amount of closet space, huge shower and balcony, centrally located to atrium and lido and dance club

Mendenhall Glacier

(5.5)
The visitor's center was interesting with great views of the glacier. We also enjoyed the movie inside.

Whale Watching

(5.5)
We lucked out and had a great day for whale watching. We saw 15 humpback whales, 4 sea lions, and a bald eagle.

Lumberjack Show

(4)
It was entertaining for kids and the elderly. It was kind of cheesy for me and my hubby.

Zip-lining

(5.5)
I have 4 words for you "LIFT UP YOUR LEGS!" As a first timer, I was unaware just how high you need to lift up your legs. Lift them up as high as they can go (not talking to the gymnasts). I did not on the first zip and have a nice big bruise to prove it :( This excursion went on rain or shine, so be prepared to get wet if it's raining. A friend of mine wore snow pants and stayed dry (of course, she was only walking around town).

Jeep Tour

(5.5)
We booked a green jeep tour and had a jeep all to ourselves. It was self guided so we could go at our own speed. This was my favorite part of the trip.