Volendam Cruise Review by mvfjk0245

Member Name: mvfjk0245
Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Volendam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Embarkation Not Rated

Ship Facts: Volendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Volendam Deck Plans
First time cruising ; MS Volendam
This is my first time on a cruise. I wasn't really looking forward to it since it was just a cruise and i was going to Alaska. To me it was just to get out of school and to see my cousins. I traveled with 3 of my older cousins that are about 20-30. and my aunt and uncle that were kind enough to pay for the trip. Little did i know i ended up loving it!

Day 1: The first day i met up with my cousins and family and went aboard all 8 of us. We went through security and got our cards and went right to the Lido Deck (the buffet area) the eat our lunch since the rooms weren't ready yet. There was lots to choose to from but nothing really that i wanted. The first 2 days of having them serve you in the buffet kinda bothered me but it was understandable. Soon after they annouced the rooms were ready we dropped off our stuff and than made our way around the ship. we found it rather amusing they had days of the week mats in the elevator. The first show was the entertainers of the volendam. I didn't really like the show but I sat through it. we had dinner at the Rotterdam that night at 5:45 at our reserved table. It was great and the selection was great. I loved our waiters, they were funny but responsible. Most workers were either Filipino or Indonesian, and being Filipino gave i guess a 'bond' towards some of the workers.

We got a few laughs from the captain that you could barely understand over the system, while you could hear David, the cruise director loud and clear. David Griffiths, 28, Australian. who i found rather charming and funny. We happened to exchange some smiles but he never really talked to anyone which was rather upseting...

"Good ey"

"THIS IS DAVID, YOUR CRUISE DIRECTA."

"I'LL SEE YOU, AROUND THE SHIP!"

Day 2: That day was a sail all day. The boat got really rocky and bumpy i couldnt quite take it anymore. I went up to the lido deck grabbed some breakfast and by 11 am i was back in my cabin sea sick. The stateroom manager was happy enough to come in give a few tips. Don't think about, eat green apples, and make sure you always food in your stomach. Due to that there are green apples almost everywhere scattered around the ship. That night was formal night there are only 2 formal nights. I went to the rotterdam on only one formal night cause i dont find a reason to HAVE to dress up all nice. Although I did go out that night at 8 to see Amore it was okay, but not the best.

Day 3: Ate breakfast at the Lido and than went to go play some bingo for $25,000.Sadly we didn't have the joy of winning till the last day which was about $144 from 100,000 pot, but i highly doubt they EVER give the pot away cause you need every number on your card before they call the 47th ball.unfortunatly by the time we won we already spent over 100 dollars just buying the cards from that week. Later that we docked at Juneau. It's one long street but I didn't find it very time occupying which made us make our way back on to the ship after about 2 hours. We than watched a movie in the theater, there is a movie on everyday but we only watched 2.

Day 4: By day 4 we found out we could have breakfast in the Rotterdam, so for the remaining we ate there. That day we were docking in Skagway, I didn't really enjoy Skagway it was rainy and it was a few blocks to actually get into the town from the boat. The town reminded of those old time cowboy movies where that bad cowboy would walk down the street and everyone would slip the open side to close and hide there shops, but that's my opinion. After being for around 3 hours we returned to the boat and than had sandwiches on the lido deck. Than dinner and than I believe that night was the Indonesian Crew Show. I found it entertaining and fun to watch I didn't like that it was so late but it was understandable.

Day 5: Finally! a sunny day! That day we were visiting Glacier Bay where we happen to spot a baby brown bear! It wasn't cold at all I actually happen to be standing out in a t-shirt. This was also a sail all day.

Day 6: Ketchican! It was sunny, bright and entertaining. Definitely my favorite stop. again after a few hours and some lunch we went back inside the boat.

Day 7: We docked this day :/ I honestly didn't want it to end. The staff was amazing and crew were amazing and I came back with a whole new perspective. I'll definitely be sailing the MS Volendam again!!

Entertainment: It was great, the singers were okay, but the comedian was hilarious! I loved the game shows, they were to funny. Neil Diamond tribute was great to! Being as young as I am under 20 I don't know how he was actually but he was definitely entertaining! I had a great time singing along! Everyday me and my cousins saw the guitarist Anthony Hines! Great guy, amazing voice and great at guitar. He was perfect at changing R&B and pop songs into something everyone can enjoy.

Staff: A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. I miss them all. They were helpful, funny and well respected. I love the towel animals!! too cute! They remember your favorites and your name!

Publication Date: 05/19/12