Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by JackBQuick: Celebrity Constellation 14 day So. Caribbean

JackBQuick
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Celebrity Constellation Southern Caribbean Cruises

Celebrity Constellation 14 day So. Caribbean

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean

Members of our group flew independently to Ft. Lauderdale and most overnighted before the cruise at the Comfort Inn. My girlfriend and I stayed at the Rodeway Inn near the airport. It was so-so with a nice sports bar restaurant but check-in and airport pick up were rather poor although the shuttle to the airport was timely and well organized. The vans pulled luggage trailers and each went to a different cruise ship which worked well.

First cruise on Celebrity but as an RCCL Diamond we were accorded elite status which resulted in priority check in and baggage delivery. Also received some additional amenities because of our C2 (concierge balcony) booking such as a bottle of champagne, flowers, fruit, etc. No big deal but nice touches.

Dining:

Overall very good food and service in the dining room. Enjoyed the Tuscan Grill but had a less than premier experience in Ocean Liner dining room where the fillet was overcooked, the lobster chewy, and the chocolate More souffle tasted like bland chocolate pudding. Would have been better off saving $80 and eating in the main dining room where the food was consistently good.

We ate in the Sea View Cafe one night for dinner and found the selection to be minimal and the food very bland. Would not eat there again for dinner. This is in contrast to some pretty good meals in the equivalent casual cafes on several RCCL, Holland America, and Princess cruises.

Entertainment:

Enjoyed most of the shows and especially the production shows. Also enjoyed the bands in the Rendezvous Lounge and Reflections (Sky Club) where we danced most nights. Participated in a couple of dance contests and won one of them, which was a kick.

Debarkation:

Did the express walk off around 8 a.m. which was a bit of a hassle since we had to wait in line to debark and then had to wheel several bags from our state room all the way to the customs terminal. The upside was debarking early and not having to search for luggage.

Overall I would rate this as my favorite of over 40 cruises, partly due to socializing with our group from back home, and largely due to the overall experience that Celebrity affords. To indicate how much I enjoyed the cruise, I booked two 15 day cruises on the Equinox and Reflection for 2013 and expect to enjoy them as well, particularly on the Solstice class ships. Less

Read more Celebrity Constellation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Constellation Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Constellation Concierge Class Panorama Deck (8) 8130

Nice stateroom with oversized queen bed with pillow top mattress. Very nice bath with hand held adjustable shower head, room to move around in the shower, and a sensor night light. Normal sized balcony with two chairs and a table. Nice view from deck 8. Drawer space was tight for a 14 night cruise and a girl friend who took a lot of clothes. Could hear conversation and coughing from the adjoining stateroom but not a significant issue. However, they probably heard us too as my GF is quite passionate.

Aruba was the first port and since it was my 5th cruise to Aruba we walked across the street from the cruise pier to the bus station and caught the No. 10 bus to Eagle Beach where the driver nicely let us know when our stop came. Had a very pleasant day on a gorgeous beach under a tree in a lounger. Beautiful water, nice swimming, no problems, and not crowded. Saw some fellow passengers easily recognized by their Celebrity beach towels. We weren't the only ones to figure out that a $2.60 round trip pp bus ride to the beach was more appealing than a hectic tour of a rather flat island. Several other nice beaches on Aruba also so I recommend this to anyone with a modicum of adventure, an orientation toward not overspending, and the desire for a relaxing day spent mostly horizontal in a beautiful setting.
Read 682 Aruba Reviews

Nice port for just walking around and doing some shopping if so inclined. We got off the ship and walked across the bridge to the shopping area. After buying some stuff we took the free ferry across the canal back to the boat. After getting somewhat sunburned at Palm Beach in Aruba yesterday, we didn't want to go to the beach today, although some in our group did.
Read 502 Curacao Reviews

Walked off the ship mid morning after hitting the gym and took a taxi van with 2 other miscellaneous couples to Valley Church beach. As I recall it was about $10 per passenger round trip. Nice thing was the driver said he would pick us up when we wanted and we needn't pay him until be brought us back to the ship. Good insurance that we wouldn't be stranded and miss the boat. Valley Church is a nice beach with lots of shade trees, a public restroom, a lively bar called the Nest, and loungers for rent for $5. It rained when we first arrived at the beach but the storm passed through and it was nice after that. Since we're not big on organized tours, this beach day was another pleasant diversion from shipboard life. This was my second visit to Grenada and still have spices and nutmeg from my last visit a few years ago.
Read 356 Grenada Reviews

Walked from the ship about a half mile to the main shopping area. My girl friend shopped while I hung out, then we walked along the boardwalk fronting the beach. No tour, no hassles, no problems. Third visit to St. Maarten.

It was pouring rain at our last cruise port, St. Thomas. We decided not to cab into the main shopping area as planned and instead, made good use of the large golf umbrellas in our stateroom and walked across the way to the Havenhurst Mall where we bought some jewelry, dresses, and booze. Interestingly, the Scotch I bought cost about 25% more than what I could have bought it for in St. Maarten. Next time I'm buying my booze in St. Maarten. Dresses, however, were less expensive in St. Thomas. Our friends who had booked tours or gone to Magen's Beach had their day pretty much spoiled by the rain. Guess that's one of the problems with pre booking tours. You never know about the weather. We saw passengers coming back in taxis around noon with wet beach towels wrapped around them glad to be back at the ship. This was about my 10th visit to St. Thomas (including a previous scuba diving trip at the other end of the island) so I did not need to tour the island.
Read 2323 St. Thomas Reviews