Carnival Magic Cruise Review by GibsonMarauder

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Magic Cruise Review by GibsonMarauder
Carnival Magic
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Carnival Magic, Western Caribbean, Apr. 2012: EXCELLENCE!
I really had no interest in "cruises" whatsoever, but ended up signing up for one, just to be part of a family reunion. We ended up on the Carnival Magic in April, to the Western Caribbean.

The service I experienced from the staff of the Carnival Magic was excellent, without exception, at every level. Everyone I encountered was pleasant, professional, and I was very impressed with their attention to detail.

The "cove balcony" room was exactly what we wanted and needed, with space used very efficiently and fit three people exactly. The balcony was a real joy- a great way to be outside, yet tucked away in the cool shade from the lifeboats above. Though the ship offered many comforts, I mostly just wanted to see the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean sea- all that water and sky. The room service food was prompt and delicious and very much appreciated. Nothing like room service food on the balcony on a warm morning!

Dining Room service was great, the food was excellent. The buffet on the Lido deck was, in a word, exactly what I hoped for. I could always find something completely delicious when they were open. The allnite pizza guy did a great job of keeping pizzas fresh and warm even at 4am otherwise (24 food availability is critically important).

The Carnival Magic itself is an impressive ship. The attention to detail is impressive, like lights on the edges of steps that someone might not notice, countless little things like that. Cable TV in the stateroom, showing ship's position, heading, etc. was nice.

What I appreciated most about the ship itself was the fact that at any time of day or night, I could find a good place to watch the ocean and sky in comfort and safety. So many decks and places to just relax in a folding chair and not take any phone calls and not surf any Internet ... You could really feel the power of the huge ship, at the frontmost deck, headed into the trade winds or almost feel like you're flying into them in the lazing saucers up on Serenity Deck.

The entertainers were good, I really enjoyed the magic show (durn skippy) and several comedy shows ("Mutzie" was very funny).

I didn't take in many extras, so there's much I can't rate.

I just can't say enough praise for the staff on the Magic. They did a really great job, I haven't a complaint. The effect of so much excellence was more than just the sum of its many parts. It just took the whole experience right off the scale.

My only regret is that I didn't some way to have more cash available to spread around a few more tips. It took every available dollar to get to the boat, really... But even though there's a gratuities arrangement, I really plan to tip much better next time.

Though before this I had -no- interest in cruises, I'm sure I will be back again, Carnival. Grand slam home run, Carnival Magic. Right outta the park.

Publication Date: 05/19/12