Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by curiselove

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by curiselove
Serenade of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Member Name: curiselove
Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: E1
See More About: Serenade of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: Serenade of the Seas Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Serenade of the Seas Deck Plans
Enjoyable with a few hicups
I love cruising, more than any type of travel. Royal Caribbean did a wonderful job with a few exceptions. The great parts were the staff, entertainment, ports visited and the ship.

The cruise director Marc Walker was by far the best director I have every had. He was funny, not tacky. He was very involved with all the passengers, and seemed like he was truly having a good time. His staff all liked him and had good relationships with them.

The entertainment was wonderful. They were truly professional. I didn't feel like I was watching a talent show at all, which I have felt like on other lines. I liked the Royal Caribbean dancers/singers much more than the "headliner" which was the Osmonds. The magician as well as the comedy shows were great and not crude. I always find that if a comedy show can get me laughing so hard I cry without being crude, they have talent!!!

The club was decent, the dj played a variety of music, but it did tend to be the loud thumping music and not a ton of variety. I had a good time even without the variety, but that would have been nice.

The staff was amazing except for our room steward. He was not really helpful, and seemed non-existent many times. However the other people on the ship with us had great room stewards. I loved our waiter and the head of the dining room - they were amazingly courteous, fun loving, they anticipated our needs, and were always one step ahead of our wants. Even when our jr steward over slept dinner time, the head of the dining room was not angry or mean and just said, "things happen, no worries" The jr waiter didn't seem scared for his job.

The bar and drinks were overpriced like always, but they were good.

The complaints I had on this ship was the organization of the shore excursions. I spent HOURS trying to get things squared away, even though we had pre-purchased our shore excursions online. They had to cancel one of our excursions, they did it via msg on our cabin phone, but didn't tell us what was open, so we went and waited for over an hour with 2 people behind the desk. They didn't know which ones were open which ones weren't. Then when we got up there, they said, we are closing now. Come back tomorrow. Well, tomorrow was the day of the canceled shore excursion and we couldn't order one same day. That stunk! We had a few more problems. They told us that the hike we were going on was fine for all ages and said it was mildly extraneous. When we started the hike, the guides wouldn't let my father continue. The tour guide mentioned that they have told the cruise line thousands of times this was tough and not appropriate for anyone over 55 yrs old, or people with any type of ailment! I finished the tour - it was HARD and I am quite fit. I kick box 4-5 times a week, run, skate, swim. I was sore for 3 days after, bruised all over, twisted my ankle. About 30% of the people turned back, about halfway through. And once at the top, they had to send some tour guides up to carry another woman down, she was about 28 or so. Just couldn't do it. We went to complain to the shore excursion people and it took over 2 hours 3 separate times to finally talk to someone. I hated that experience, and it really left a sour taste in my mouth.

The last complaint I had was that we had a balcony - NO Obstructed View....or so I was told. The window washing machine was on our balcony the entire cruise. I called the front desk every day, they told me every day that they were going to wash the windows and that it would be moved by the end of the day. Well, it never moved. And, we paid for an unobstructed view. That was crappy.

Other than those few things, I had a wonderful time.

Publication Date: 05/18/12
Read the Southern Caribbean ports review by curiselove
More Serenade of the Seas Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Serenade of the Seas review Read the next Serenade of the Seas review

More Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews