Azura Cruise Review by CLAREY LOU: Lovely holiday

Lovely holiday

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Southampton

My husband and I have just come back from the Norwegian Fjords with Azura its the second time we have been on azura we did the western med in september 2011. We certainly liked her the first time and I still liked her the second time. This was a last minute booking as we had the offer of a balcony at discounted price come thruogh the post. Very pleased with the balcony. If I have to say anything about this trip I felt the captain we had on the cruise in sept Keith dowds was more of a people person and the ship was immaculate and staff were on the ball at all times.the captain on this cruise Paul Brown never saw him also I felt the staff were a little despondent and tables especially in the buffet were left for a while before being cleared or wiped. Our cabin steward compared to the cabin steward we had in september did not do any of the little touches the room was always clean and tidy but you could tell that he literally did that. Our last cabin steward made lovely little animals More tidied both dressers and bathroom tops all the time so I could never find anything lol.

This trip had more older generation and a fare few wheelchair bound people which I liked to see as Azura certainly seemed to cater well for these. I would say that on occassions the lifts became very cosy if a wheelchair was in one lol and maybe they ought to design bigger lifts. We met with a gentleman and his wife who was disabled and they showed us their cabin which I must admit was suitably designed for a wheelchair along with a big wet room (shower). However my moan is that there were several people on the ship with scooters and I feel that P and O need to assess this as these on scooters had the attitude that along the corridors those that were walking had to get out of the way. You would also find them parked in the corridors at the Malabar which is a walk though corridor and no consideration for those walking through.

Norway itself is very expensive Stavanger is a port you can get off and mooch around however all was shut the day we went due to it being a holiday lol, Flam the most scenic fjord of them all unless you did an excursion there was no where or nothing to do however the size of Azura against the fjord did look magnificent and some good pics were taken. Olden again nothing to do unless you went on a noddy train around the lake at some cost!! or an excursion. Bergen a port that you can get off and free shuttle bus into the city and going up the vindickula is an experience for fantastic views. Pleased I,ve done it.

Next cruise is august on indep of the seas Italian med for 13nights and just put deposit on Azura for central med 17nights oct 2013.

got to work hard and earn more pennies inbetween time. I just love cruising and certainly a balcony now!

clarey lou. Less

Read more Azura cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Azura Review >>

Cabin review: Azura Balcony Stateroom A Deck r238

we had a balcony on portside and we were on level 14 near the front no obstruction but if going out early in the morning dont be too free with lack of clothes although not over looked if an officer was on the bridge with binos he could see you. large bed to the point that my husband often thought I wasnt their lol. shower adequate for me although small my husband being broader often had a disagreement with the curtin lol always kept topped up with coffee and tea and biscuits. Good hairdryer for the woman. superb hanging space and plenty of wooden hangers suitable for tops and trousers. to bedside cabinets with two deep draws in each and one long upright cupboard with plenty of shelfs for clothes and easy to manage secure safe. were able to put suitcases under bed with no problems.

free shuttle bus from port as its a industrial port so wont let you get off ship and walk into town shuttle buses are regular and bergen is worth a walk around the fish market and vindickula is fantastic (cable car) up cliff spectacular views over bergen and the port and nice little country walk around there as well.
Read 172 Bergen Reviews

(5)
this was one of the most scenic places I had seen the fjord is about 116 miles long and the pilot joined the ship at 2am and we docked at 09am thats how far the pilot brought us in. its very rugged and my husband and I got up early and went on to the deck with binos and watched as we sailed winding and twisting around the bends the only thing you could hear was the ship horn when coming to a bend and not seeing around it. great wildlife and plenty of otters ( i think lol) and sheep or they could of been goats lol couldnt get us to binos lovely little norwegian houses doted. Harbour very small but the ship docks along side where the gangways are able to be placed on the harbour itself a large part of the front and back of the ship is overhanging the harbour. We did norway in a nutshell which is a very scenic ride through the mountains on an old train their are two steps but they are steep just be careful then from there we went on a more modern train to Vos where we had a buffett and a two hour coach ride back again seeing lovely views.
Read 83 Flam Reviews