Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Louisca: Fantastic Fjords

Fantastic Fjords

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Baltic Sea
Embarkation: Southampton

We booked our cruise to the Fjords quite last minute and paid a bargain price. We were, therefore, expecting the lowest category inside stateroom, so were delighted to be allocated 9260. It is by far the biggest stateroom we have stayed in, even compared to when we've travelled concierge class. The marvellous Marcello did a fantastic job looking after us.

My partner and I booked the drinks packages -- he on the premium, while I took the classic package. I have to contradict what has been said earlier about 'breaking even'. Both packages cover drinks other than alcohol, so by the time you add up the coffees, soft drinks, bottled water and alcohol, both packages become value for money. Unless, of course, you are a camel and do not need to consume much liquid (alcoholic or otherwise). They are not designed to share with others, which I found perfectly acceptable. We made good use of the packages in Cafe al Bacio every morning, which I can recommend. Fab double espresso with More complimentary pastries, if desired.

I thought the ship was absolutely lovely. Very modern lines, without feeling clinical. It was kept spotlessly clean and staff are attentive, friendly and make you feel special, without gushing.
For me, the food was a slight negative. I had MUCH higher expectations than what was delivered. Breakfast in the buffet was rarely warm. On the couple of occasions we had breakfast in the main dining room, I found it to be a bit of a let-down -- especially the plastic cheese they stuck in the omelettes. The other disappointment for me was the fact that we had requested a table for 2 for dinner. We were given a table for two, but in reality it was a table for 8 as the tables are less than an inch apart. Regardless of my disappointments, we didn't go hungry and we met some very lovely people.

We used the buffet for dinner on a couple of occasions and we were pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was. The Indian section was pretty good too, although I was disappointed that there was never any Mexican food at the Mexican station. We did go to Qsine one night and I thoroughly recommend giving it a go, it is good fun and the food was the best we experienced on the ship. The other place to try is the Bistro on Five -- some strange fillings in the crepes, but boy do they work!

There was a mix up on our first night when we were told that we were on the late dinner, but we weren't so we missed out on food. The Maitre d' was almost rude to us about it, which I found unacceptable, but it was rectified the next day after a complaint to passenger services, so all was well.

The itinerary was great -- I love sea days, so was quite happy to spend time at sea (others on the cruise weren't quite so impressed). The scenery was breath-taking and we spent very little money off the ship as we simply walked and walked. The Norwegian air certainly helped clear fuzzy heads after one evening of utilising the drinks packages!

All in all I would recommend the Eclipse. Great staff, plenty of bars to choose from, constant entertainment, which was of a good standard, if not necessarily my cup of tea. The ship is beautifully designed and has a wonderfully relaxing feel to it. Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Inside Stateroom Panorama Deck (9) 9260

We had stateroom 9260, which was a great size - more akin to a hotel room. We had no problems with storage, although we were only on an 8-night cruise - a longer cruise may have caused problems. Plenty of room to move about the cabin, very quiet location (next to the card room) and well-situated for amenities above and below. A lovely room.