Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by kristen89: Liberty Review May 5, 2012 Western Carribean

kristen89
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean Cruises

Liberty Review May 5, 2012 Western Carribean

Sail Date: May 2012

This was my first ever cruise and I went with my mother and sister. Never being on a cruise the Liberty was huge, we constantly were getting lost, which wasn't helped with the stairs and elevators not connecting all the floors. A few times we had to walk through the golden dining room to get to the other side and enter.

The embarkation process went very quickly, we got to the terminal around 10:30, after an early morning 3 hour flight. We went through security and got our zone card then waited for zone 18 to be called. This went very quickly and we were on board and having lunch by 12:30.

The Food in general was ok. Many nights we didn't like what was being served in the dining room, especially my sister who only eats chicken, no other meat, so we headed to the buffet which often times was very similar. Breakfasts were very good and filling getting us through the day. My only other complaint besides variety and flavour would be the hours. We'd come back from an More excursion on shore and more often than not many places were closed and we'd either have to settle for the 24 hour pizza or wait until the dinner buffet/ dining room opened. In fact I wasn't able to try the sushi bar, until the last sea day and the burritos until or disembarkation day. I was never able to try Guys burgers, omelet station, fish n' chips, or the Mongolian wok.

The staff we loved, our room steward, Paul was excellent. Our room was always clean and he was always so friendly, asking us about our plans for the day and how the previous day had gone. Our towel animals was one of the highlights of the cruise because of Paul, some days we came back to the room with an extra baby animal, as well as a new one later in the night.

We had any time dining. We had Appaya a few nights, she was very social and outgoing, in fact when we were seated in another section with a new waited she came over to say hi and as us about our day.

We didn't have much time for many shows or activities since we had to get up early for excursions and were exhausted by 10pm. But we did check out the aft pool and hot tubs for a late night dip before bed almost every night. The public areas and toilets were always very clean, the staff was constantly cleaning and were very friendly.

Debarkation was pretty long, we were zone 27 and had a few hours to kill. We had to be out of the room by 8:30 so we headed up to the lido for breakfast and to kill time. We were off the ship in 2 hours, around 11 and gathered our suitcases and waited in the customs line for almost another 2 hours. It took a very long time and was hot with everyone packed together. Finally, we were out and boarded the shuttle back to the airport at 12:30, giving us a few hours to catch our flight.

Overall, it was a good first experience, I think next time we will be more prepared both with knowing where everything is and have less excursions booked in order to spend more time on board exploring. Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Liberty Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Liberty Interior Main 2443

Our cabin was on the main floor, deck 2, in room 2-443. It was an interior room and was very dark, perfect for sleeping, just make sure to bring a little night light. It was small but for the three of us it worked. It was a nice location with a quiet hallway. Though being in the back of the ship the room was quite loud when we were coming into and leaving ports and my bunk was quite shaky. Further up the hall it was stinky so I was quite happy with our location.

We had a cave tubing excursion booked for Belize, the tender was very quick and we found our group very quickly. We booked with a group outside the ship, Viv tours. There was about 11 of us in that group with 3 tour guides. One slept in the backseat, (we never saw her again) one drove the bus (and was our leader once in the water) and the third, Kareem was very knowledgeable and told us all about the island. The ride out to the caves was about an hour, but didn't feel very long at all. Once we arrived, we had time to change and grabbed our helmets, life jackets and awesome tubes. They also provided lockers to lock up important documents and money. The tubes was one of the main reasons we booked with viv. They have the mesh on the bottom and headrests, making a comfortable ride. The walk was quite tiresome and hot, but very informative, with many stops to see the local vegetation and a dry cave. Getting down onto the dock and into the tube was a little tricky, but there was a man at the bottom to help you down the little ramp, then you just had to fall back into the tube. The rest of the time was a great float, looking at the stalactites and stalagmites and relaxing in the cool water. My only little complaint was being in the front of our 5 person group, I had to steer a bit and keep my feet out of the guides way, which had me always aware and unable to fully relax. But this was very minor. Overall it was a great experience, a small group, with many laughs and totally worth the price of only 40$, less than half the price of the one on the boat.

Mayan Ruins

(4)
I was really looking forward to this excursion, I love looking at ancient structures and how they've weathered time. We met our guide Alex in the main area as soon as you got off the boat and boarded a big bus. We made a pit stop at the peepee station to use the rest rooms and see a native house and small show. Then we continued to the San Gervasio ruins. I loved seeing the ruins and even hand prints from the Mayan times, however, I was a little disappointed they were so small. Only a few buildings/temples and walkways. After the ruins we shopped a bit in the square outside the ruins, some shopkeepers were a little pushy but they had some nice souvenirs. Afterwards, we were driven to a white sandy beach, there were a few shops there as well as a bar and grill. We were the only group there and had the beach to ourselves and had a great time

Stingray Swim

(4)
We met Eldon from Native Way Watersports when we got off the boat, it was a short wait, then we got on a small shuttle bus with Sharon and had the island tour (there was only 7 of us all together on this tour). We drove past the Governors House, 7-Mile Beach and The Old Homestead as well as stopping in Tortuga Rum Factory for some shopping and an early lunch, since we wouldn't have time later. We were supposed to do the Turtles then stingrays so we wouldn't be wet but somehow we were switched and headed to the Stingray sandbar where Eldon picked us up in his boat and brought us. We were a group of seven and had lots of time to hold and touch the stingrays, feed them and get back massages. The stingrays were so friendly and came right up close. After we took the boat back to the marina and got into another van to go to the turtle farm. This was one of my highlights we got to hold baby turtles, they flapped their arms and hit you but calmed right down when you pet their heads. After a quick stop in the gift shop we headed back to the pier. Compared to the ship excursion we had a very small amount of people and a small price. It was a lot of fun.

We didn't have anything booked this day and just had a nice time at the adjoining beach. The sand was beautiful and white and the water blue. Though it was very crowded with most people off the boat there we managed to find chairs under the palm trees to spend the day.
Read 1646 Roatan Reviews