Carnival Magic Cruise Review by AZmike480: Carnival Magic Cruise 05/06/12

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Magic Cruise 05/06/12

Sail Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

This is our second carnival cruise and we booked this vacation in January and counted down the days until it was time to set sail. We decided to invite another couple to join us who we've been friends with for many years.

We arrived in Houston Hobby airport the Saturday before the cruise so we could check out Galveston before we set sail. Flying into Texas and getting around the airport was easy, we didn't have a plan for ground transportation since everything was expensive. Galveston is about a 45 mile drive from Houston hobby and a cab ride cost us about 100 dollars for 4 of us in a suburban which was nice. In Galveston we booked a night a the Howard Johnson hotel which was cheap and was one of the only hotels with a one night minimum. It coat about 100 dollars to stay there and I wont ever stay at another Howard Johnson hotel. This hotel was disgusting, We got to our room and the toilet was clogged and the furniture had a bunch of weird stays on the seats. I called the More idiot behind front counter to address the toilet problem and he came to my room and handed me a plunger! Sunday morning I went down and ate everything I could at the continental breakfast to get my money's worth and asked if I could make some copies of my boarding pass. Idiot B informed me they where out of copier paper so I used the gas station copier next door. We arranged transportation to get to the port and checked in at the ship which was easy and quick.

The Carnival magic is one of the newest ships in Carnivals fleet and I was looking forward to seeing it. Once we got on, it was amazing to see in person. The boat was very clean and had lots of things to do and see. We enjoyed spending time in the back pool and spa area every day and loved the sandwich bar at the pool deck. The food on the ship is alright, the sandwich bar, hamburger bar and food at the red frog pub was great. The buffet was okay, breakfast was good, lunch alright, and dinner sucked. We elected to have the open dining schedule which was nice, the seating was open and you can eat basically whenever you want. The dining room area was one of the areas of disappointment for us. The servers where disorganized and communication was difficult because of language barriers. The food was also very poor for sit down dining.

The dining at the steak house was amazing, the food was wonderful and worth the extra 30 dollars a person. We also enjoyed the Italian restaurant, they have an excellent pasta bar for lunch.

This trip was longer the the first cruise we took so we had a chance to catch more shows this time and try some of the activities. The punch liner comedy club was awesome. Each night a couple of comedians would perform live and most of them where hilarious. We caught the magic show which I thought was dumb and fell asleep at. The juggling act was funny and worth seeing. Oh check out the piano bar its small but a lot of fun singing with the host. We spent everyday and some nights in the red frog pub, the beer is good and the food is excellent. It's a relaxing beach bar atmosphere with live music at night. We spent some time in the casino since it was the only place with sports on the television. The problem is getting sport games sucked. We couldn't get all the basketball playoff games. Carnival need to have a sports bar with more televisions, it would be a hit.

Overall the ship is excellent and easy to get around and I would cruise on this ship again. It was worth the money we spent and we really enjoyed it.

We signed up for a cruise voucher and look forward to hitting the eastern Caribbean again next year!

Mike Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Interior Riviera

We stayed in a interior cabin room on deck two since we don't spend much time in there. Our room was always clean and ready to go and we arrived. The housekeeping staff was excellent. The only problem I had with my room was it was located next to a housekeeping service area and every morning around 6 am you could here them doing dishes and banging around equipment which sucked.

Island Tour

(4)
We arrived in Grand Cayman on Thursday and its looked amazing form the ship. The cruise ship was docked off the coast and tender boats picked you up and took you to port. We decided to take a tour of the island and found a tour guide for 10 dollars a person. The tour guide took us to several stops and shared information about the island in between stops. Our scheduled stops included 7 mile beach, hell, Tortuga rum cake factory, and the dolphin and turtle show. All of them where great stops and being able to see some of the island was excellent. Our tour wrapped up about 12 o clock. So we went into all the different shopping centers, finished shopping and went back to the boat a couple hours early. My personal opinion of Grand Cayman is a good one, I thought the country was beautiful, clean, and the local people are very friendly. The island primarily speaks English and the pricing is in US dollars. Grand Cayman reminds me of Maui and I would love to go back and spend a few days there.

We arrived Wednesday morning in Montego Bay had some breakfast and got of the ship with no planned shore excursion. We decided to take a bus into the hip strip and hang out at Margaritaville. We picked up a bus into town which was cost about 15 dollars for 4 of us. From the ship Jamaica looks beautiful but from a bus its anything but beautiful. We made it to the hip strip which is supposed to be a block of bars, restaurants and shopping. Once we arrived we quickly realized all the stores have the same Jamaican crap for sale and the store owners are a bit pushy oh and everyone seems to be selling marijuana there. We arrived at the first bar and where the only ones there, we had a couple red strip lights and took off. We walked down Margaritaville which was packed full of people so we hung out there and a bucket of beer and ate some food. The waiter was excellent and the food was good. We meant a bunch of people from the ship and a few people from the royal Caribbean ship. We caught a cab from there and went back to the ship about 3 hours before the departure time. My personal opinion of Jamaica is poor, Its exactly like Mexico very poor run down and dirty. I don't plan on returning to Jamaica ever again unless its in another port.