Star Princess Cruise Review by kct76: My traveling style is forever changed.

kct76
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Star Princess Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

My traveling style is forever changed.

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

My husband and I booked a mediterrenean cruise on Star Princess (Venice to Rome) for our one year anniversary. I was not sure what to expect as I've always been a laid-back traveller....certainly not used to travelling in luxury. We honestly booked the cruise more for the ports than anything, however, the cruise itself was just as fantastic as the ports. Everyday we kept saying to each other...could this literally get any better!

Our embarkation at Venice was super easy..maybe 20 mins max, and our room while small was cute and most importantly clean. We were exhausted from the long flight from Toronto, but we spent the evening exploring the ship...it was beautiful. Our luggage didn't arrive with us, but Princess gave us little bags of tolietries and even provided outfits for the first formal night, although out baggage arrived beforehand.

Overall, we absolutely loved the ports...it was incredible waking up to such gorgeous places everyday. We did a few More excursions...The Parthenon in Athens as it is such a big city, Ephesus in Kusadasi and Vesuvious and Pompeii in Naples. The rest of the time there was no need to book an excursion and we just had a lot of fun exploring the various little port towns.

Evenings were really fun because the food was always so good. I don't think I can recall a bad meal. It was delicious and varied. The buffet was also good, but we prefered meeting the other passengers and dressing up a bit in the proper dining rooms. We had an anniversary meal in the italian restaurant on Star Princess....$20 extra and worth every penny. The food was to die for!

Some nights we played bingo...a good laugh or went to shows or events on board...it was all good. Our fave thing though were the movies under the stars...we went often and it was so much fun. We are big movie buffs so it was the perfect way to end the day.

I used the gym most mornings and it got busy quickly but it was also really nice to have use of those facilities. I also got a massage in the spa and it was fantastic...well worth the splurge!

I can think of a few things that could be better, but they are so many minor it didn't change our feelings about the cruise at all. The biggest thing was I felt there was quite a bit of sales going on...trying to get people to buy stuff...the worst were the photos..that was pretty annoying, but whatever...not a huge deal. I didn't like the way some people put towels on chairs and never seemed to come back all day...I wish people were monitoring it more, but again, not a biggie.

The positives of this cruise far outweighed the negatives. We met some interesting people, and found a few of the old fogies to be complaining about little things but seriously...they had nothing to whine about. I liked that there didn't seem to be kids running all over the place...I assume they were all in the kids programs during the day...fine by me.

Overall, I cannot think of a better value for money than this cruise. If you drink like a fish I'm sure it would get expensive, but we don't so who cares.
We had a truly amazing time and would be doing it again this summer if I weren't pregnant! I have convinced my husband and parents to go on an alaskan cruise next summer and I am literally itching to go!!!

If you went on the same cruise as us and didn't like it, I don't even know what to say. Your expectations are unreasonably high and god knows what would make you happy! Trust us...it was out of this world! Less

Read more Star Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Star Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Star Princess Interior Double Caribe Deck

Acropolis

fabulous!

The Plaka Walking Tour

(5)
The Akropolis is out of control busy, but that isn't the cruise lines fault, and it is STILL worth seeing. Athens is so big and busy that it is worth taking an excursion. I would get worried about getting lost otherwise.

Gorgeous port...the city is stunning! A bit touristy, but still gorgeous.

Ephesus Museum

(5)
Good trip, I think it would be too hard on your own, definitely worth seeing. I loved shopping in Kusadasi too....best shopping of the trip...great prices.

Lovely little stop...VERY expensive to eat there....worst meal of our cruise was at a cafe there, but still a gorgeous place and very fun to wander around.
Read 375 Mykonos Reviews

Mt. Vesuvius

(5)
This was a great tour, I didn't like Vesuvius much as I hate hiking but my husband was all over it! Pompeii on the other hand blew my mind...what an interesting place...everyone should visit sometime in thier life.

Pompeii Walking Tour

(5)
Naples itself looks pretty sketchy, but there are tons of interesting daytrips from there.

Rome itself is pretty awesome....amazing things to see. The Romans could use a lesson in manners however...worst experience I've ever had with people overseas...but the place itself is so full of history.

I have dreamed of visiting this place all my life. It was stunning! We took a local bus to the famous little town in all the pics and it was so easy. Again...crazy expensive but we just tried to eat on the cruise as much as possible.

Fantastic but expensive!