Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by Maggs07: Fabulous Anniversary Cruise!

Maggs07
Member Since 2012

Fabulous Anniversary Cruise!

Sail Date: May 2012

We booked this cruise only about a month and a half out, long story short we have had a terrible year so far due to family illness and we really needed a getaway! We had planned to possibly vacation for our anniversary in August but our summer got tied up with family things so we decided to take the chance to go somewhere when we could which happened to be in May. I went on the Big Red Boat about 20 years ago and hubby hadn't ever cruised so we were excited to see what it was all about.

We went in with an open mind and not too many expectations. I knew we were going to have fun b/c we always do but didn't know what to expect from the ship. Embarkation was super easy, we were on the ship about 45 minutes after we arrived to the port. Our room was ready, 1197 on the Rivera deck. Looked just like photos I had seen of cabins so no surprise there. Hubby was pleased at how much room we had, he thought the cabins would be smaller. Our steward was fabulous and our ice bucket was More filled several times per day, clean towels, etc.

As far as the ship itself, the Destiny was great! Sort of outdated which we knew, but it had charm and we found the decor amusingly tacky. I liked it. I really didn't have a problem finding my way around on board at all. And the elevators were fine, I didn't find them all that slow as some reviews said. And if you were sick of waiting, take the stairs! People seem to moan and gripe about buffet lines but they weren't that bad. I don't think people realized there were two buffet lines. Of course during peak times you're going to have more people in food lines no matter what.

The food...it was good. The Melting Cake was to die for. The croissants were yummy. I liked the vegetarian Indian food. The buffet was good as well but we only ate there for lunch one day. I don't eat eggs so I can't comment on those.

Noonan, the cruise director, did a fabulous job. The entertainment was very good, although we didn't see the Broadway style shows. The one comedian we saw was Just June and she was hilarious. If anyone claimed to be bored on this ship, they must have an extreme case of ADD. There was always something going on or you could just sit and chill if you wanted to. The Aft pool was a good place to get away from the busy Lido deck.

Our ports of call were Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. We loved both! We spent the day at the Jewell Dunns River Falls Resort in Ocho Rios and it was a lovely day! We ate plenty, drank plenty and enjoyed the beach and the pools. We played ping pong and I did Zumba in the pool. We booked a day pass through JamaicaForADay.com and everything was great, the bus was there on time to pick us up and bring us back to the ship.

In Grand Cayman we did Rays, Reef and Rum with NativeWays..highly recommend them! It was one of the best days of my entire life!

We loved this cruise and will definitely be booking another one soon! Less

Read more Carnival Destiny cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Destiny Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Destiny Oceanview Riviera 1197

1197...very quiet cabin. Nothing to complain about : )

Snorkeling

(5.5)
This was an incredible excursion! We did the Rays Reef and Rum tour with Native Way Watersports. I can't say enough about them! We did the sting rays which was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had. Then we did a snorkel stop which was beautiful. Then on to Rum Point beach for lunch and some time to relax. We got back to the port with plenty of time to shop before the last tender. I high recommend this tour!

Beach Break

(5.5)
We booked a day pass at an all inclusive resort, Jewell Dunns River Falls. It was amazing! The bus was right there to meet us and it only took about 5-10 minutes to reach the resort. it was adults only so that was nice for us. All drinks and food are included, the jerk chicken was delicious and the drinks were tasty. Service was great and the staff was so friendly! The beach is small but private and there are several pools with swim up bars. Really great day!