Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by Maggs07

Carnival Destiny
Member Name: Maggs07
Cruise Date: May 2012
Cabin Category: 6B
See More About: Carnival Destiny Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Fabulous Anniversary Cruise!
We booked this cruise only about a month and a half out, long story short we have had a terrible year so far due to family illness and we really needed a getaway! We had planned to possibly vacation for our anniversary in August but our summer got tied up with family things so we decided to take the chance to go somewhere when we could which happened to be in May. I went on the Big Red Boat about 20 years ago and hubby hadn't ever cruised so we were excited to see what it was all about.

We went in with an open mind and not too many expectations. I knew we were going to have fun b/c we always do but didn't know what to expect from the ship. Embarkation was super easy, we were on the ship about 45 minutes after we arrived to the port. Our room was ready, 1197 on the Rivera deck. Looked just like photos I had seen of cabins so no surprise there. Hubby was pleased at how much room we had, he thought the cabins would be smaller. Our steward was fabulous and our ice bucket was filled several times per day, clean towels, etc.

As far as the ship itself, the Destiny was great! Sort of outdated which we knew, but it had charm and we found the decor amusingly tacky. I liked it. I really didn't have a problem finding my way around on board at all. And the elevators were fine, I didn't find them all that slow as some reviews said. And if you were sick of waiting, take the stairs! People seem to moan and gripe about buffet lines but they weren't that bad. I don't think people realized there were two buffet lines. Of course during peak times you're going to have more people in food lines no matter what.

The food...it was good. The Melting Cake was to die for. The croissants were yummy. I liked the vegetarian Indian food. The buffet was good as well but we only ate there for lunch one day. I don't eat eggs so I can't comment on those.

Noonan, the cruise director, did a fabulous job. The entertainment was very good, although we didn't see the Broadway style shows. The one comedian we saw was Just June and she was hilarious. If anyone claimed to be bored on this ship, they must have an extreme case of ADD. There was always something going on or you could just sit and chill if you wanted to. The Aft pool was a good place to get away from the busy Lido deck.

Our ports of call were Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. We loved both! We spent the day at the Jewell Dunns River Falls Resort in Ocho Rios and it was a lovely day! We ate plenty, drank plenty and enjoyed the beach and the pools. We played ping pong and I did Zumba in the pool. We booked a day pass through JamaicaForADay.com and everything was great, the bus was there on time to pick us up and bring us back to the ship.

In Grand Cayman we did Rays, Reef and Rum with NativeWays..highly recommend them! It was one of the best days of my entire life!

We loved this cruise and will definitely be booking another one soon!

Publication Date: 05/14/12