Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by TexCruiser00: Wonderful honeymoon experience!

TexCruiser00
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Wonderful honeymoon experience!

Sail Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We arrived in Port Canaveral Sunday around 1pm and although the lines at check in were long, we made it through the line fairly smoothly and made it to our cabin around 2pm. This was my husbands second cruise and first carribean cruise and we felt we needed a balcony room to best enjoy the experience. Our room was clean and comfortable and our room steward, Carmen was always greeting us by name in the hallways with a smile on her face.

We had the 8pm dining time which we really enjoyed. We were put at a table with two other couples and we all got along great and had lots of good conversation throughout the week. Our waiter, Chetan and his assistant, Deepak were wonderful as well. I've experienced some of the best service I've seen on this ship. The food was very good most nights, not exceptional but good. The lobster night was the highlight and everybody at our table ate two lobster tails each! Every night, Chetan would serve us our starters, entrees and desserts and also More include a couple of extras in the middle of the table for us all to share which was a real treat!

The ship itself is really beautiful. My husband and I spent a lot of time in the promenade, browsing through the shops and checking out the bars. We especially loved Vintages wine bar. It was a cozy, cellar like wine bar that was very romantic. One of the staff there, Shane, really went out of his way to make us feel welcome. He spent a lot of time educating us on wine and he really made our experience there top notch. The other bars on the ship were really nice as well especially Olive or Twist up on deck 14. It had a super view of the ocean and played great jazz music. We really enjoyed the buy one get one free margaritas from 4:30-7:30 at the On Air Bar on deck 3.

The entertainment was pretty good as well. The cruise director, Graham Seymour was a character and we thoroughly enjoyed his humor! I've never seen a cruise director so involved! He was not only the cruise director but also sang in the band on at least two occasion, did his own comedy show,sang in the farewell show and also hosted his own morning show every morning on TV. We both thought he was really great! We saw all the shows except for the magician (which I'm sorry we missed!) and thought they were pretty good overall. Not spectacular, but entertaining. The Poolside Dance under the Stars was a lot of fun, as was the Brittania show on the promenade. The Dreamworks parade was cute and enjoyable.

One of our most favorite places on the ship was Sorrento's Pizza. We were there at least twice a day enjoying pepperoni pizza or the pizza or panini of the day. They also alternated between coconut macaroons and amaretto cookies which were to die for! They were open until 3am so we usually had our midnight pizza and then headed back to the room for bed.

The food in the Windjammer was just ok. Breakfast was pretty extensive which we enjoyed. Really, everything you could want for breakfast. I even enjoyed a bagel with cream cheese and lox a couple of mornings. Lunch and dinner were ok. Some of the dishes were quite good and some were almost inedible. My biggest complaint was that it closed at 9pm. I also didn't get why the ice cream up on deck 11, Sprinkles, was closed at 7pm every night. Perhaps to get more people to buy ben and jerrys? I also missed the Midnight Chocolate Buffet that I've experienced on other cruise lines.

Debarkation went smoothly except for the fact that one of our bags went missing and unfortunately it was our bag with all our photos that we had purchased on the ship and on our dolphin excusion! We filed a missing bag report and are still waiting to hear. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Deck 6 6690

Good location but a little far from the elevators but it was quite.

Our first stop was CocoCay on Monday, May 7. My husband and I used it as a time to relax on the beach and decided not to do any excursions. The food was mediocre but drinks were good and we had a nice day on the beach. We didn't wait too terribly long for the tender either way and that went pretty smoothly.
Read 246 CocoCay Reviews

Island Tour

(5)
We boarded an air conditioned bus near the pier and had a great tour guide teaching us about the dutch and french sides of the island. We spent most of the day on the french side and our first stop was the Doudou Rum Factory which was really enjoyable. They make artisan rums with local ingredients. They were pretty liberal with their samples which was nice! The next stop was a perfumerie, Le Tijon and then a cooking demonstration at a restaurant on the main strip. We had some great samples during the demonstration of Colombo Chicken, conch and bananas flambe. We had an extra hour or so to eat lunch afterward but we balked at the $27 price per plate for lunch! So, we headed down the street to try to find where the locals ate. We found a wonderful place where they had big BBQ pits with meat grilling and fresh fish cooking. We had the stuffed crab, cooked plantains and red beans and rice. It was a delicious meal and much less expensive than the tourist places up the street!! Overall, we really enjoyed this tour. It gave us a feel for the culture and we hope to go back again!

Dolphin Swim

(3)
Our 30 minutes in the water with the dolphins was truly amazing and a wonderful experience that I hope to do again someday. However, I would not do it in St. Thomas again only because the actual dolphin swim is on the island of Tortola, which is a British island. So, we had to take a 1 hour ferry ride to get there, fill out custom forms and go through customs before we could take a short bus ride to the dolphin center. Once there, we watched an orientation video and got our life jackets on and then the group of about 60 people or so were split up into smaller groups of 10 and all taken to different areas to swim with a dolphin. So, that was great. It was 1 dolphin to 10 people so we really got to have some time with them. They take a lot of photos and spend a lot of time after the swim getting you to look at them and buy the cd of pictures. We bought two prints for $50 which is pretty steep I think! They had lunch but you had to pay for it so we opted to wait until we got back to the ship. So, after a short bus ride back to the pier we boarded the ferry for another 1 hour trip. Upon arriving at St. Thomas, we had to unload to go through US customs and then get back on the ferry to get back to the ship. Like I said, I would swim with dolphins again but not from St. Thomas.