Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by TexCruiser00

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by TexCruiser00
Freedom of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Member Name: TexCruiser00
Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: E2

Wonderful honeymoon experience!
We arrived in Port Canaveral Sunday around 1pm and although the lines at check in were long, we made it through the line fairly smoothly and made it to our cabin around 2pm. This was my husbands second cruise and first carribean cruise and we felt we needed a balcony room to best enjoy the experience. Our room was clean and comfortable and our room steward, Carmen was always greeting us by name in the hallways with a smile on her face.

We had the 8pm dining time which we really enjoyed. We were put at a table with two other couples and we all got along great and had lots of good conversation throughout the week. Our waiter, Chetan and his assistant, Deepak were wonderful as well. I've experienced some of the best service I've seen on this ship. The food was very good most nights, not exceptional but good. The lobster night was the highlight and everybody at our table ate two lobster tails each! Every night, Chetan would serve us our starters, entrees and desserts and also include a couple of extras in the middle of the table for us all to share which was a real treat!

The ship itself is really beautiful. My husband and I spent a lot of time in the promenade, browsing through the shops and checking out the bars. We especially loved Vintages wine bar. It was a cozy, cellar like wine bar that was very romantic. One of the staff there, Shane, really went out of his way to make us feel welcome. He spent a lot of time educating us on wine and he really made our experience there top notch. The other bars on the ship were really nice as well especially Olive or Twist up on deck 14. It had a super view of the ocean and played great jazz music. We really enjoyed the buy one get one free margaritas from 4:30-7:30 at the On Air Bar on deck 3.

The entertainment was pretty good as well. The cruise director, Graham Seymour was a character and we thoroughly enjoyed his humor! I've never seen a cruise director so involved! He was not only the cruise director but also sang in the band on at least two occasion, did his own comedy show,sang in the farewell show and also hosted his own morning show every morning on TV. We both thought he was really great! We saw all the shows except for the magician (which I'm sorry we missed!) and thought they were pretty good overall. Not spectacular, but entertaining. The Poolside Dance under the Stars was a lot of fun, as was the Brittania show on the promenade. The Dreamworks parade was cute and enjoyable.

One of our most favorite places on the ship was Sorrento's Pizza. We were there at least twice a day enjoying pepperoni pizza or the pizza or panini of the day. They also alternated between coconut macaroons and amaretto cookies which were to die for! They were open until 3am so we usually had our midnight pizza and then headed back to the room for bed.

The food in the Windjammer was just ok. Breakfast was pretty extensive which we enjoyed. Really, everything you could want for breakfast. I even enjoyed a bagel with cream cheese and lox a couple of mornings. Lunch and dinner were ok. Some of the dishes were quite good and some were almost inedible. My biggest complaint was that it closed at 9pm. I also didn't get why the ice cream up on deck 11, Sprinkles, was closed at 7pm every night. Perhaps to get more people to buy ben and jerrys? I also missed the Midnight Chocolate Buffet that I've experienced on other cruise lines.

Debarkation went smoothly except for the fact that one of our bags went missing and unfortunately it was our bag with all our photos that we had purchased on the ship and on our dolphin excusion! We filed a missing bag report and are still waiting to hear.

Publication Date: 05/14/12