Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by CruzNewby: Sailing on the Liberty

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean Cruises

Sailing on the Liberty

Sail Date: May 2012

This was my first cruise, so I don't have anything to compare this to, but I did have some expectations.

First let me say that the embarkation process went incredibly fast. When we first got to the port authority building in Ft. Lauderdale, and I saw all those people in line, I thought it would take hours. It didn't. I think we were on board the ship within 30 minutes of walking in the door of the port authority.

When we first got on the ship, we were sent to the Lido deck (9) for lunch and it was amazing. I'd never seen so much great looking food!! If I had it my way, we'd have eaten all our meals from the Lido deck buffets. There was something for everybody's tastes. I wasn't so impressed with eating dinner in the dining room. The selection is so limited, and there were 2 nights out of the 7 that I had to get 2 'starters' to make my dinner. Some may like what the dining room serves. I did not. But the view of the sea is incredible. We were seated in Gusti's (Goose) More section and the service was second to none. Initially we'd been seated in Marie An's section, and the service was so horrible that my Aunt complained to the hostess. So, if you can, avoid her section. We gave her 3 tries, and she struck out every time. It took us literally 2 hours to be served dinner.

I didn't much care for the way the Liberty is laid out. There are certain areas of the ship that you cannot get to by way of the elevators or stairs on the floor those areas are located. We'd have to go up one deck, cross that deck and take an elevator down to reach some areas. That got to be very frustrating.

Disembarkation was not as easy as embarkation. It was very confusing trying to figure out where we needed to disembark the ship, then finding our way there (see above comment concerning the ship lay out).

I don't know that I'd cruise on the Liberty again. It's very pretty, but that isn't enough to make me a loyal Liberty cruiser. Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Liberty Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Liberty Balcony Empress 7339

Our cabin number was 7339. We had a balcony, which I will never be able to sail without from now on. 7339 is midship and a perfect spot to be away from the noise of the Lido deck at night. We didn't hear anything from above us or the cabins on either side of us. But you will want to take ear plugs with you. The people in the halls have no respect for time of day or night. Small kids ran down the hall at 2 a.m. just as they would at noon. And adults walk down the hall talking and laughing loudly, again time of day didn't matter. That aside, the room and the service of it was wonderful!

Oh. My. Gosh. You don't want to go to Belize without an organized excursion. My Aunt and I tendered over (approximately 15 to 20 minutes) so we could do a little shopping in the 'compound' area. I say 'compound' because it's encircled by a wrought iron fence that is covered from the ground up to about 10' high. The shopping was not great, but it's interesting to see what they offer. We asked a cafe worker as well as a security guard whether it was safe to leave the 'compound'. Both said yes, but we'd get rushed. I should have asked what they meant by "rushed". It was scarey. The village people swarm you the second you leave the compound. There are police or guards with automatic weapons. It's like the worst slum and war zone in one. I am not a shy person, or afraid of crowds, but these folks scared the hell out of me. They all crowd you, yelling out what they have to offer, and will not take "no thank you" for an answer.

Dolphin Swim & Encounter

(5)
This is worth the price. We did the dolphin encounter with lunch. I read some reviews of this excursion that said the lunch wasn't that great, but it was in my opinion. It was a choice between different quesadillas or fajitas. It's Mexican food because you're in Mexico! The time with the dolphins was great. When we got there, they split our group up into smaller groups of about 8 people. We're assigned to a trainer and two dolphins. The trainers are fantastic with the dolphins and the guests. They're very patient.

Snorkeling

(4)
I didn't really care for snorkling. The water is incredibly blue. A beautiful aqua color. After snorkling, we chose to walk to the ship, which is through a town filled to the brim with shops. There's something for everybody's taste there. The people are so friendly. I want to go back!!

Roatan is so pretty. Surprisingly it's very hilly, and there are alot of trees. We did the zipline and tabyana beach excursion. The bus ride to ziplining isn't bad at all (approximately 30 minutes). The guys who geared us up and explained how to zipline are fantastic at their jobs. I'll tell ya, ziplining looks much easier than it is! But it was fun, and I'd do it again in a second. After we were done ziplining, we took about a 5-minute bus ride to Tabyana beach. It is beautiful there. The water is crystal clear. The pictures I took of the water look like I'm taking a picture of my full bathtub. The sand is soft and white, and the water is warm. I'd recommend this excursion to anyone. It was truly amazing!
Read 1647 Roatan Reviews