Crown Princess Cruise Review by redtogo: Crown Princess 4/28/2012 to 5/12/2012

Compare Prices on Crown Princess Transatlantic Cruises

Crown Princess 4/28/2012 to 5/12/2012

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Transatlantic

I love Princess Cruises, I really do, but there is always room for improvement. I think that rather than saying how beautiful the ship was and how appetizing the food was (which both are true) that I should maybe critique areas that could use improvement.

(1) the mattresses are in dire need of being replaced. The have been sat on, and the edges are sagging and give the feeling that you will tumble off the edges.

(2) we had Noro-virus to rear it ugly face while on board. This caused us to rethink if being in public places and partaking of those activities were worth acquiring the Noro- virus. We elected to sit on our balcony on sea days and enjoy the sea life that we were able to spot. We saw porpoises and lots of whales while sitting on our balcony. We read novels that I had carried ( all the donated books were disposed in order to eliminate one way of spreading the Noro.

(3) I feel that in light of the Noro being on board that everyone needs to have all More towels laundered everyday. (you are given the option to hang them them up and reuse them the next day). Ecology only goes so far when factoring in health issues.

(4) Our bed linens were not changed during the first 8 days of the cruise. I took notice that mine had a dark spot on the bottom sheet that it was there everyday for 8 days. I finally asked or the sheets to be changed.

(5) The Internet was poor (at best). You could not tell when you were signed on, and many passengers used up 250 minutes on the first day because they attempted to sign out and it obviously wasn't processed. I used 10 minutes the first day of the cruise and NEVER was able to access the Internet on that day. At all times, it took at least 4 minutes to get online and each page loaded equally as slow. 30 minutes could easily be consumed trying to get into our email account.

(6) We had a major power failure for over an hour one day at sea. I am thankful that I wasn't in an elevator; that it was daylight and I could see; that the temperature was cool and a slight wind was blowing; and that it was just a power failure and not something more dramatic, like a fire.

(7) our waiter had 3 tables and each night we were the last to receive our meals. Not important, you say.... Remember the stage show begins right after dinner and if you want a seat, you have to arrive early. Another table mate questioned our waiter, and from that day forward we were no longer last.

(7) I do not think workers are as cautious about cleanliness as they should be. Some wear plastic gloves, some do not. They take dirty dishes from the tables with bear hands and then bring you silverware or a glass of juice with those same bear hands. But, then how often do they change their gloves? So I guess it is a toss up as to which is cleaner.

(8) cabins and balconies are supposed to be non-smoking, but I have doubts that this is enforced. Many nights on the balcony I smelled cigarette smoke very strongly, but nothing was done. I was also on the starboard side of the ship which does not contain the smoking deck on the Promenade Deck so I know it wasn't drifting up from below. No it was coming from deck 11 or 12, from a cabin 610 or lower in number.

(9) Embarkation was a nightmare. Ship was late being cleared and we had to wait in the parking lot in the hot sun. We are younger and healthier than most. It was sad to see people who were unable to stand erect with a walker, in the crowded lines needing relief from the heat and the standing.

I recommend that everyone buy a small container of Lysol To Go. I sprayed it directly on my hands to kill any virus that I may have gotten onto my hands. Neither of us got the Noro-virus. I like to think that it helped. I also packed a large Lysol in my checked bag and sprayed everything in the cabin with it. (pillows, bed covers, bathroom faucets, toliet flusher and lids, inside the shower, door handles...Everything that I could think of, I sprayed it with Lysol. )

I hope that everyone who cruises has a great cruise. Be healthy. Use elbows to push the elevator buttons. Some actions reap big rewards. Be cautious in port. Pick pockets are waiting on you. One of our table mates caught a young girl unzipping his fanny pack which he wore in front. Another reached in his pocket for something,and there was another hand already in his pocket! Then on the crowded elevator one night my husband felt his wallet being lifted out of his back pocket. He actually felt it rising up, being pulled from his pocket, and he was ON the ship!

Be careful! You are your first line of defense. No one will protect you like you will protect yourself. Less

Read more Crown Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Crown Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Crown Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Baja B611

Great room with sagging worn out mattresses. Could smell cigarette smoke on balcony every day. Reported it. Nothing solved in reporting violation which carries $250 fine. Feel that everyone's towels should be laundered every day to help curb Noro virus. Bed linens not changed during first 8 days. I had an old spot on mine and it was there for 8 traight days. Enjoyed the room. It was very quiet.

Beautiful and clean. Very enjoyable! May fly back to spend a week in Barcelona.

City Tour

Wonderful tour.

Dirty and smelly town. Took the choo-choo tour. It was very nice. Took us up to the Bascilla.