Silver Cloud Cruise Review by vml

Cruise Date: April 2012
Embarkation: other
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: VR
See More About: Silver Cloud Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Silversea Cruise Deals
Public Rooms Not Rated
Entertainment 5+
Embarkation Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Silver Cloud Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Silver Cloud Deck Plans
Honeymoon from hell
Where do I begin? I am not a complainer but here goes. We had not one, not two, but THREE floods in our suite. The toilet gushed water into the entire room and we were moved to the owner's suite (very large but all the way forward and the noise level at 4am from docking and anc anchoring was unbearable). When we couldn't work the shower (nether could the butler) I went to the original suite where I was told the plumbing had been fixed to take a shower and when I came out the room had flooded for the 2nd time. Back in the owner's suite at 1am my husband thought he heard something, and lo and behold, there was a man standing in the middle of the suite. I was shocked and scared. He said he was a security guard checking on unoccupied suites. Without knocking?!

Even if it had not been for these appalling issues, the food was mediocre at best and the service was horrendous. Everyone was polite and tried to make it up to us with champagne and canapes and complimentary dry cleaning, but they never seemed to get things right. Service in all restauants was painfully slow (3 hour dinners) and the menus were terrible (mostly carbs and sugar). The staff tried but were not helpful. For example, there was no movie schedule published and when we asked what times the movies started they replied "They start each day at 8am. I can tell you how long each movie is; you do the math." Outrageous!! Furthermore, there was no bank on board and we couldn't change money in the ports without passports which the ship kept...

I could go on and on (toilets not flushing, TV not working, safe broken) but you get the idea. Apparently the ship was supposed to be in dry dock which got delayed. I bet they are regretting that. We had a 3rd flood which spilled into the next suite, had to move for the 3rd time (after we were told they were fully booked a few days earlier)and the casino and boutique were also flooded.

In trying to think of something positive, the entertainment was great, especially two of the female singers, but there was no dance band or music on deck. Lectures and games were practically non-existent (except for trivia where the crew cheated thereby taking the fun out of it) Bad weather and rough seas did not help our experience since the ship rocked badly and noisily. To add insult to injury, we were offered a mere $1500 credit toward a future cruise. I don't thoink so! Well, maybe on another cruise line!!

Publication Date: 05/12/12