Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Kevnzworld: Transatlantic on the Eclipse

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Transatlantic Cruises

Transatlantic on the Eclipse

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Transatlantic

I booked this cruise a month before departure because of the special pricing. I had recently completed my first Celebrity cruise in January. Before that I had only cruised on Regent.
I booked Aqua Class because I enjoyed the food in Blu on my previous January voyage on the Infinity.
The ship is beautiful, modern and clean. The room seemed new, even though it's over two years old. The shower is great and very functional compared to Regents , and Infinitys shower. The flat screen TV is powered by Apple, and has more channels than I expected including 4 news channels. The storage is a bit cramped. I travelled alone so it wasn't an issue, but it would be tight for two.
I found the menus in Blu to be a little more boring than I had experienced on the Infinity. I don't eat red meat, so that restricts my options. I ate with others that ordered the meat courses, and they looked great. Blu is run like a real restaurant, not a banquet hall like the MDR. I also More ate at the three specialty restaurants. I took advantage of the 3 for $70 pricing when I boarded the ship. I liked both Tuscan grill and Murano. My favorite dish at Tuscan grill was the tuna with olive tapanade, medium rare. I ate their 3 times! Murano is a high end French dining establishment. I ordered the duck breast which was done perfectly.
I didn't order any of the drink packages. I preferred to order wine by the bottle, since they keep the unused portion for the next evening at any restaurant. I found the wine by the glass selection to be not great on the ship.
The night life wasn't especially lively on the ship. There were people in the casino, or at the martini bar most evenings though. Cellar Masters only had business in the early evening.
I liked the selection of food at the oceanview lunch buffet. I was able to grab things from different stations to concoct great salads every day. Go to the sandwich area, and top off your salad with a scoop of either tuna or chicken salad.
The two bars at the back of the ship are the best places to hang out, especially at the end of the day. Great views off the back of the ship.
We had 8 sea days, so I found a different spot on the ship each day to read my Kindle. I especially liked the caffe Bacio . I loved their fresh pressed iced tea. The pool areas were crowded on nice afternoons, but I was always able to find a spot.
I booked my shore excursions with people on my roll call, not thru the ship. I recommend that everyone join and participate in the roll call. The people I met on it, are the people I ate with every evening.
I enjoyed the Azores, very different. It's lush, green and beautiful and populated mainly by milk cows..
I opted to just get off the ship and walk around Cartagena Spain. It has a nice pedestrian street. I took the HOHO bus in Barcelona , and got off to walk the Rambla.
The Toulon stop was a highlight. We used tours of Provence to give us a tour of Aix. Wonderful, and I highly recommend them.
Lastly we took a tour of Sienna. It was a rainy day, but the Tuscan countryside was beautiful .
All in all a terrific cruise on a wonderful ship! Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox 1539

I was in 1539. It is right below a bar/ kitchen so it was noisy in the morning.