Disney Wonder Cruise Review by lv2travel69: Disappointing - Not What Walt Would of Wanted

lv2travel69
Member Since 2012

Family & Children 2.0

Compare Prices on Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera Cruises

Disappointing - Not What Walt Would of Wanted

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I had originally booked a Christmas Cruise and was later informed it was cancelled and not given a reason. Booking a year in advance I was excited to get a great deal but when it was cancelled told I had to pay the price it had increased to when they cancelled - NOT when I placed my deposit. Things went down from there. Trip was on and off again, but my travel agent equally frustrated with the cruise line gave me her commission to make things work for me.

On board I got the handicapped room which was roomy - although nothing special. Often went to the spa to get better water pressure. The room creaked so much at night you could hardly sleep and I awoke several times when the bathroom door kept opening and slamming until furniture was placed in from of it.

Food was wonderful. Small portions for kids, but that's okay. Ate a few meals in the Pala which was well worth the extra $15. High tea also lovely. Couldn't make any reservations online, but found many More things available once on board.

Same with salon. Better deals too to purchase once on board. My daughters got a pedicure and for $70 returned with smeared polish and said their lady complained a lot about "having a bad day" and "not really into it". I spoke to the manager and they each had their nails redone while I cancelled my pedicure. Wish I had done that with my facial. No steam, massage, or anything extra. I could of washed my face and gotten same result and saved over $120. Steam rooms were great and I spent lots of time there. Fitness area had workshops that had you sit for an hour only to get a marketing rip-off advertisement at the end. Couldn't believe Disney was actually saying they had a magic pill only they sold that solved detox issues. Didn't even show us the pill or anything and yet the trainer insisted they were upfront at the beginning about what they were selling.

Family games also overpriced. $40 to play 4 games of Bingo - really? Charges for the arcade, and pool so overcrowded my girls never got to go. They were too tall for kiddy slide and too young for adult pool. No teen activities that interested them. Went to decorate a t-shirt only to learn it was a 6inch foam cut-out - not even a real t-shirt!

Excursions were overpriced too and my friend booked herself and we got better and cheaper that way. The Pirate Cruise was so crowded and the food was poor. We had use of a small portion of the beach and kids stood in long lines to kayak and go on banana boat which was blown up once there.

I met many that had done this cruise several times, and I don't get it. I'd rather go to Club Med where I'm treated better my kids are entertained all day and I never have to get out my wallet the entire week. I felt after being overcharged at the beginning was bad enough, but to be constantly hounded for more money for drinks, kids entertainment, family games, use of steam rooms at spa and etc. that I had wished I'd done the Carnvial for half the price.

The shows were great, but moms would save rows of seats and despite coming early to be seated, I found myself in a desperate search to sit with my girls only to be kicked and have food thrown at me by kids from behind. A lady next to me requested 4 times from a father to stop the kicking/food throwing and he just laughed. Although announcements made to not save seats, it was allowed. No management enforcement - too concerned using people to sell over-priced drinks in theatre. Money, money, money. Don't think this is what Walt had in mind. Less

Read more Disney Wonder cruise reviews >>