Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by bigmama9224: Cruising with a group

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Cruising with a group

Sail Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Other

Let me start by saying that we live in Queens NY we left our house at 9:20 am, we got to Cape Liberty at around 10:45 am. We went right thru there was no crowd at all. We had a suite so we went right thru the checking process mighty quick. We waited at a special sitting room then took bus to ship and by 11:30 we were at the Windjammer having lunch. Room was ready at 1:30 pm.
Ship definitely needs a dry dock but ship considering it needs a dry dock is in very good condition and most important very very clean. It seemed that during my 9 days they were always making some kind of repair on the ship which is good.My son whom went with us said that he noticed that this cruise had a lot of much older people, i for one like to travel during this week in April cause yes there are not too many kids screaming or running around the place especially the pool area.

I walked around the ship to see a lot of the cabins the inside cabins are good for two people if they only use the rooms More to sleep not to much space but it is adequate only down side is that the bathroom is very very small. Balcony room at nice. Junior Suite is roomy but the other suites are better gives you more space if you are spending lots of time in cabin like my husband does.

I did the windjammer only about twice during the 9 days, but what i can say is that i love that i don't have to get up to get water or any other drinks waiters will walk around asking what you need, unlike Carnival.

I like that staying in a suite gives you some privileges you will always find a chair by the pool, go and see ice show with out tickets and had breakfast everyday at Portofino which was nice and quite and i got to order out of a menu very nice touch. Overall my experience with Royal Caribbean was a great one. Had a nice time, only thing is i will tell everyone if they get cold easily to bring plenty of warm clothes to hang around ship it is very cold, which i understand is for our benefit also they make you clean hands before going to eat which is great cause on my prior cruise on Carnival i had gotten pink eye, so appreciated the hand sanitizers.

Anyone looking at reviews to see if they should book on the Explorer Of The Seas just like i use to do, i would tell them go ahead you will definitely like it. Only down side to ship like i said was that i was not able to find a nice place to read cause it was freezing everywhere i went i should have brought my blanket to read then i would have been comfortable, but this was not the cruises fault it is mine for always being so cold. Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Owner's Suite Deck 10 1608

Our cabin was at a great location almost next to elevators, quite hallway very accessible to stairs and elevators but quite like i said.

City Tour

(5)
Our first port was Bermuda what a beautiful Island, the water is the most beautiful color i have ever seen, what impressed me so much about Bermuda was how clean this island is.Boat docked at Kings Wharf took a hired van for $20 per person for a 3 hr. tour saw most of the island plus went to Hamilton. driver Bird was a very gracious and polite man. My daughter went to Horseshoe Beach she had a blast.She took back a taxi for $6 per person back to ship.

Labadee a very beautiful Island but if you have to go to the beaches on the left side be prepare not to go in the water, water is full of algie and rocks. best beaches are on your right side but i think that is for Suites or Crown member guess. My family said they had a blast at Labadee we were the only ship there so island was not crowed were able to get plenty of chairs in the shade and spend the day there just lazing around. For disable people you are able to bring down you electric scooter and drive around the island.
Read 355 Labadee Reviews

Very hard to give details about Puerto Rico i got off ship walked alittle and went right back to ship, almost everything is closed at the time ship docked 7:00am. One of the family that was with us said they walked up the hill and found a free trolley that gave them a tour of Old San Juan they didnt have to pay a taxi which sounded alittle bit steep.
Read 1353 San Juan Reviews

Second port was St Martin the pier were ship docks is very nice, but that is all i can say for the island, we did a 3 hrs tour island is very run down we went thru some scary parts of town due to the fact that there was a Carnival and most streets were closed.Driver was very nice. St Martin also has beautiful water. Part of the group just walked off ship and went to beach right next to ship it took them about 10 minutes to walk to beach she rents two chairs and umbrella and they rented jet skis and walked right back to ship at end of day.