Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by csaeroach

Member Name: csaeroach
Cruise Date: April 2012
Embarkation: San Juan
Cabin Category: 07
See More About: Celebrity Summit Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Shore Excursions 5+

Celebrity Summit Huge Disappointment!
I am not surprised at all from the comments from this sailing. This was the worst cruise for service we have ever had, and I thought our sailing on Westerdam was bad!

We finally complained about our waiter and bus boy to the front reception desk and they had the dining room manager call us and we talked for over 20 minutes on the phone and he met us at 6:00pm in Cellars Masters one evening to try and get us better service. We would of talked to a Maitre'D if we could of found one in the dining room. Come to find out they had 4 on the ship, and not one ever came by our table. They moved us to anytime dining which was way better but we complained way to late as we could of had better service earlier in the cruise. We were a table of 8 (table 100) and I swear we must of had the worst waiter ever possible. We could not figure out what the problem was, but our waiter would miss items which people ordered every night. If he did bring the items, he would give to the wrong people, every night ... glasses set empty for 20-30 minutes, dirty plates set in front of us forever ... over 30+ minutes between courses. The menus have changed and we did not find the new menus that great, found the item selection needs improvement. Food was just okay, pretty bland and always over cooked and/or no flavor. Two nights we were not even offered dessert menus. I did not like the set up of the drink service in the dining room either. We would get one drink when we sat down, and we would not see the bar service gal again ... she never came around to see if anyone wanted anything else. We all had the drink packages, so I think this was the problem. We found bar service every where was poor, especially up on the pool deck.

The drinking water in the dining room was unfit to drink. They have a major issue with that. You could of got better water out of a dirty swamp I am sure, as that is what it tasted like. Had to purchase bottle water as no one at the table could drink it. They really need to look at their water purification system. I have never tasted anything like it on a cruise ship before!

The cabins were redone but they did not touch the bathrooms?? I could not believe this! We had loose tiles, and very rusty - moldy shower which did not drain and overflowed every day. Toilets would only flush half the time. Had to call maintenance a few times but problems never seemed to get fixed. Do not book cabin 2167 or 2163 ... 2163 was a bit better then 2167 but not much.

I found with a lot of the staff leaving when we hit NYC, they did not care and ignored you and service was horrible in dining room and at all bars, but again it could of been the drink packages and the servers not making their 15% on our orders. We did not care for the buffet set up, its horrible. I hate not being able to serve yourself and you ended up with way to many plates, or they did not have a plate to serve you ... the buffet set up is so spread out and confusing. One good thing about the buffet though, was a huge area with lots of seating, which was never a problem to find a table.

We found they did not have much going on in the day time, the ship was dead. They would start the music on deck about 4:30pm as everyone was leaving for the day to get ready for dinner. We found the cruise director staff were unseen most of the time, and they had the most annoying Cruise Director ever ... Sue Dunning, she was horrible, and if I ever book another Celebrity cruise, which I likely will not after this experience and she is the cruise director I would cancel it in a heartbeat. Its all about Sue, and everything was the Sue and Ben show .... gets old very quick!

We were on the Celebrity Solstice a few years back when it was new, and I always rated it as the best cruise ever and always thought of Celebrity as a step above the rest and a luxury cruise line, like they always advertize. Boy was this cruise a let down, and if my first Celebrity Cruise it would definately be my last .... my husband says never again, but I think we will likely give them another try but it may take a few years. We are frequent cruisers, we do about 6-8 cruises a year, but Celebrity will be hard pressed to get our business any time soon.

All in all, we did have a great time in the ports and the itinerary was wonderful! Weather was great, and we did enjoy each others company. We had our two daughters with us, which we have not cruised with them in a few years, and this was sure not the cruise for their age group (20 and 22) but we made the most of it. Celebrity gets a "F" for failure from us, and has a lot of improvement to do!

Publication Date: 05/19/12