Carnival Elation Cruise Review by nickle58: Elation may 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Elation Western Caribbean Cruises

Elation may 2012

Sail Date: May 2012
Embarkation: New Orleans

We sailed the Elation to Progresso and Cozumel. We really enjoyed this cruise even though it did have a different "energy" than other cruises we have taken in the past. It was much calmer and I guess relaxed in comparison. I have been on 6 cruises and this is the absolute first time that I would not have had to fight for a chair around the pool. Everyone was friendly, the ship was immaculate. I liked this ship because I felt like it was "quirky". We tend to explore and take different routes to get places. One day we went up a stairwell and found ourselves in an obscure area of the gym. Another day we went down some stairs and found ourselves in the back of a lounge where they were setting up for an art show. Kind of weird. You could always find a quiet area or seating near the water. I felt like the bar staff left us alone. We didn't buy any alcohol from the bar at all. "No thanks" was easy and they left us alone. We have cruised enough to know what to expect from the More shops etc. and we just generally have never bought unless it was a t-shirt or something. Last couple of cruises I have bought alcohol to take home. We take part in some of the silly trivia games, find a quiet corner to read or play cards while watching the water. I find the evening shows to be entertaining but some of them are "tired" since I have seen them before.

I also went to a couple interesting seminars....would have gone to the wine tasting which I enjoyed on a past cruise but was afraid my stomach wasn't up to it due to some "wave action".

Ports

Progresso...this time we took an excursion to Uxmal....fabulous and astonishing ruins. I was impressed by the magnitude. The lunch scared me so I just ate the banana and the cookies. I wasn't sure where the sandwich came from and the bags looked like they had been mangled. I was in Progresso last July as well and didn't do an excursion. I am always interested in how others live and their cultures. I felt like they have a beautiful view of sea. The town is obviously poor and they try to sell you things. Again, I don't mind saying "no thanks" and they go away.

Cozumel.....went to a private island...passion island...gorgeous, relaxing. Sometime I'd like to just walk around this port.

Every time I cruise I learn things that make the next one even better. Less

Read more Carnival Elation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Elation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Elation Oceanview Riviera M257

M257 category 6A....aft...about 3rd from the very back. Convenient to Tiffany buffet area. Nice window. Expected a couch but there wasn't one. No big deal. Had some problems with too much hot water but were able to figure it out eventually. Not sure if we were competing with our neighbors for the cold water or not. 3 decent sized closets, nice safe accessed by swiping credit card. 4 drawers.