Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Themamulas: Fabulous time on the Freedom!

Themamulas
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Fabulous time on the Freedom!

Sail Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My husband and I chose this cruise to celebrate our 6th wedding anniversary. We are 30 and 27 with no kids and just wanted to have a relaxing vacation together. We have been on 4 RCI cruises and 1 Carnival.

We drove to Port Canaveral straight from Virginia which took about 12 hours. We stayed at the Sheraton Cocoa Beach Hotel which was very close to the ship. We were right next to Ron Jon surf shop and could walk to the beach. The room was small, but comfortable and in a great location. They have a bar/restuarant and a huge store attached. The reason we chose this hotel is because I used points I've earned from AmEx so it was free!!! They offer parking with a shuttle for $35 for a 7-night cruise, but we wanted to do express departure and leave quickly, so we forked out the $120 to park at the port.

The ship is very nice. A few of the highlights for me were the pool deck was nice and included a movie screen, boxing ring in the gym, the decor of the main dining room was More nice. I also liked how comfortable the chairs were in the solarium and Windjammer.

We chose not to go to any of the broadway-style shows as they arent really my thing. I always enjoy the love and marriage game show!!! I would have loved to see the Quest game show, but it was too late, which I do feel like all the good entertainment is too late for me to stay up to watch, especially when we're in port early the following day. We loved the comedian and would have appreciated more comedy style entertainment. You can always stay in the room and watch the same shows over and over I guess.

The service was good. We loved to order the delicious raspberry cheesecakes to be delivered to the room, so we could enjoy them on the balcony. On the first day there was a delay getting one of our suitcases, but that is probably because it had a case of bottled water and a case of soda. We got to keep it all in our room and stocked the fridge so we didn't have to pay $2.25 for a soda and $3.95 for water.

Labadee, Haiti- It was nice and seemed very safe which was a concern for my husband. There are hammocks on the beach and they serve a buffet lunch(free)including hamburgers, hot dogs, BBQ ribs and sides. It was nice, but it was my least favorite because we just did a beach day.

Falmouth, Jamaica- I was supprised how nice the port itself is. We did Dunns River Falls and Horseback ride n' swim. The falls were a ton of fun with a guided tour on the way and jamaican lunch. I was really excited to ride the horses in the ocean,but was dissapointed because of the long waiting times and limited amount of time in the water. There were just too many people than they could accomodate. A private tour would have been better.

Grand cayman- We decided to go out on our own and found a group that does guided taxi/bus tours for $15 per person. We went to the turtle farm and a few other places, but this was worth it as we got to see what Grand cayman is all about. The turtle farm is great and you can pick up and hold baby sea turtles!

Cozumel, Mexico- We booked a manatee swim online for $59pp which included all day access to Chankanaab park which was beautiful. There are restaurants, bars, beaches, swimming pools, a sea lion show, dolphins, manatees and sharks. We got pics with a nurse shark for $30pp! This was a wonderful park and was the highlight of our trip. I would recommend it.

We booked a balcony cabin which was pretty spacious with a large balcony. The bed is so comfortable and king size. Loved having the mini fridge. Would have preferred a full table on our balcony, but there was just a side table. we were spoiled with one on the Allure and enjoyed many meals in the privacy of our balcony.

Food was okay. I would have liked more variety in the Windjammer and I would prefer if they were open all day. They closed in between meals and were only open until 9pm.It was unfortunate having to settle for Sorrentos pizza as it is pretty bland.

We got to the port around 11:30am and it was probably 15 minutes to check in. No long lines! We chose the Express departure at 6:30am to get off the ship and were leaving the parking lot at 6:44am.

We had a great vacation and would love to go on this ship again. The ports were great as well. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>