Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by ElvisAndretti: First Cruise: Carnival Ecstasy April 14-19 2012

ElvisAndretti
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Ecstasy Bahamas Cruises

First Cruise: Carnival Ecstasy April 14-19 2012

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Our first cruise exceeded our expectations in every way. It was only after we booked this trip that I discovered cruise critic. What I read at first had me very nervous, cold food, drunks, Wal-Mart of the seas.

What utter nonsense. The ship was old, but she's been refurbished and is clearly very well cared for. We found the crew to be unfailingly helpful, friendly and cheerful. Our fellow cruisers were wonderful, we made many new friends and we really did find ourselves doing things we might not ever have done.

Our cabin (U-98) was wonderful, it was an extended balcony suite and the extra large balcony may have spoiled us for good. We spent a lot of time there just watching the sea and relaxing. In fact, this was by far the most relaxing vacation I've ever had. Our cabin steward was amazing, he seemed to anticipate everything we might want, or not want. We didn't eat the chocolate, he stopped leaving it. I left my portible cigar humidor out (I'm guessing that's how More he figured it out) and when we returned to our room after dinner there was an ashtray on the table out on the balcony. There was always ice in the ice bucket and when we chilled champagne we returned later to find extra champagne flutes.

The food in the dining room was much better than I expected. The service was attentive without being intrusive and the selection of wines was pretty good and fairly priced. The Chef's Table was so much fun and so much fantastic food I can't imagine taking a Carnival Cruise and not doing it.

The excursions we booked through Carnival were great fun and required no effort on our part other than to show up. The entertainment in the main show room was not really our sort of thing, but we loved the live bands on the Promenade deck and we saw two late night comedy shows that had us rolling on the floor, so to speak. (John Wesley Austin was the comic for both shows, but he did two different sets.)

We had VIP boarding/debarkation so getting on and off in Port Canaveral was as easy as you could want. We arrived a bit after 10:00 AM and were on board with a drink on the Lido deck by 11:00.

I would not hesitate to recommend this cruise to anyone who likes to have a good... no GREAT time without spending a lot of money.

It's cheap, it's fun, try it. I wish I had done so sooner. There will certainly be many more cruises in our future. Less

Read more Carnival Ecstasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Ecstasy Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Ecstasy U98

This cabin was as bigger than many hotel rooms I've stayed in. The balcony was huge, two loungers and two chairs with room to spare. The walk in closet had a safe and plenty of space for all of our stuff. There were many more drawers than we needed and lots of counter space as well. The bed was very comfortable, we slept very well, there was very little noise in this part of the ship. The cabin is also very convinient to the public areas of the ship.

Masted Ship Tour

(5)
Amazing! Setting sail on a 100 year old square rigger was beyond our expectations. It was such a thrill watching the crew haul the sails up and chase the wind, it was a day we will never forget.

Our day in Key West was everything I had hoped it would be. My wife got to meet a six toed cat at the Hemingway house, we shopped until we almost dropped on Duval street and had some very good Oysters and Shrimp for lunch. There may have been some cocktails involved as well. In fact, we enjoyed Key West so much, we're going to make a trip to the Keys later this year.
Read 741 Key West Reviews

Blue Lagoon Dolphin Swim

(4)
The private island excursion was exactly what we expected, the setting was beautiful, the only problem was we had to leave sooner than we wanted. That did give us time to explore Nassau a bit and do some shopping which was nice. Next time we're there we plan on spending the day exploring some more.