Braemar Cruise Review by nanynemo: Slow boat to Dover

Slow boat to Dover

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Other
Embarkation: Other

We travelled the day before and stayed Premier Inn opposite where the ship docked.We were delayed, as there had been medical emergency on the previous cruise return.
Wrong baggage delivered same printed labels as ours other person hadnt changed cabin number !!. Cabin smaller than I had ever experienced before with the tiniest shower, but it was fast and hot so ok.Not much cupboard space, but hey ho there was a laundrette and irons.
Smooth outward crossing took ship tour Lisbon, glad we did it is a big town. Did all Canary Islands on our own. Got to Azures stayed on board 1st island as were to walk a lot in Porta Delgada. BUT Captain came over tannoy at1550 and said Porta Delgada cancelled as bad weather due in Bay of Biscay and we MUST get to Dover in time.
Some people had had this said on 2 previous cruises so were not pleased.
It was rough about 24 hours later and lasted for 30 hours. It was stranged to go to dinner and have just a tablecloth on the table More (everything else just fell off!!(I had had room service earlier in the day, I did not trust myself walking around the ship, as all the code alpha announcements put you off.
But for over 2 days we then crawled in flat calm seas not even making foam at the back of the ship and could have been in Dover 2 days early.
My husbands birthday was lovely, starting with celebration breakfast in cabin. Could not be faulted.
All food good and hot plenty of choice, either formal or self service. Staff in self service were friendlier than the formal.
Cabin though small was kept spotleaa by cabin girl.
The downside was the clientelle were so old so it was very quiet from 11pm when the show stopped.Some "young retiries" called it "Gods waiting room",
Too many sea days, and not enough mixed age group, and certainly not enough to do on the many sea days. Less

Read more Braemar cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Braemar Review >>

Cabin review: Braemar Superior Twin Outside Lido Deck 4082

Cabin 4082 Main deck a Superior outside twin gradeB Very small. Little cupboard space, 2 small hanging rails and a narrow cupboard with a few teeny tiny drawers in in below the safe. There were also 2 tiny drawers about 6 inches accross on the bedside cupboard. Shower the smallest ever seen with the dreaded plastic shower curtain. I really do not know how my husband managed to use it. The bathroom also had tiny triangle cupboards accross the corner of the bathroom by the toilet but not much would fit in there and a desk, that held the tea tray so most space was taken up ( we estimated it was about 7 feet 6 inches wide and a tub chair at the foot of the bed, (No fridge) Good location, quiet and midships. Formal restaurant down corridor. Up 2 flights of stairs to lounge/promednade deck.

Fred Olsen charge £5.00 shuttle at every port. However we did our own thing

City Tour

(5)
Had no idea that Lisbon was so big, very glad we took the ships tour. Our guide was very informative and my husband loved the Sea museum.