Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by Kristy88: Wonderful cruise but bad internet unfortunately

Kristy88
Member Since 2010

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

Wonderful cruise but bad internet unfortunately

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

My husband and I sailed on Carnival Splendor April 29th thru May 6th to Mexican Riviera. I had been on this similar cruise 22 years ago with my family back when it went on the Jubilee to Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta and wanted to go with my husband this time on a newer style ship. We both had sailed with Carnival before. Embarkation went ok, but alot of lines.

Ship - Nicely designed. I admit there is ALOT of pink dots everywhere like people said, but it didn't bother us. We weren't sure why they couldn't change them to blue or green dots on some levels to make it more interesting, but I guess that was what they wanted. Ship was a little confusing for me to navigate - even still toward the end of the cruise. The good thing was no matter where you were there were elevators or stairways nearby so you could get back to your cabin easily. This ship had 2 pools - one aft and one mid-ship. Both were hard to get a chair at times, so we would have to sit somewhere else. More Not a big deal though since it was cold during most of the days at sea and I wanted to be inside anyway. On the last 2 days at sea they closed the atrium on the Lido main pool which made it nice and warm.

Food - Everything in the dining room was great and first class. We ate at the buffet alot for breakfast and sometimes for dinner and I didn't care for that as much. I did like the dessert selections at the buffet though - lots of cakes and selections. Service was good at both locations. We originally had late dining in the Gold Pearl due to that was all that was available at time of booking. We asked the Matre D at the Black Pearl if we were able to move ours to anytime dining and she accommodated us. I thought the Black Pearl dining room was nicer than the Gold Pearl.

State room - We had an interior cabin on Empress deck which was small but comfy. The room stewards that serviced our room did a great job and were very friendly and helpful. Walls were a little paper thin though as you can hear every sound people make while passing your stateroom. Not a big deal though as this isn't the first time I've encountered this anywhere.

Entertainment - I was more impressed with the shows on this cruise than any other cruise I've taken and I've been on 5. They did a great job. I loved the second show VROOOM with the tribute to Rock-n-Roll over the years. Saw the comedy act one night and he was pretty funny.

Ports - see individual reviews.

Now the only BAD: The internet connection! Yes I know we are suppose to be on vacation and yes I knew some of the situation before I booked this cruise, but we are not the average couple who takes time off from a 9-5, 8 hour a week job. We have no employees to answer emails for us but own several home businesses that HEAVILY rely on internet and alot of long email answers to people. The internet on this ship was slow, stalled alot and you pay alot of money for minimal hours of internet. For a couple or even few days this is something we could probably live with, but for 7 days it becomes tedious and having to tell every customer you will need to answer or call them later can really wear thin on you. Especially knowing you will have to deal with all that when you return. Unfortunately if cruise ships do not improve the internet service or at the very least - give you 24 hour internet service for the $200.00 you paid on the trip it might be more worth it. But for our situation we definitely will not be taking any more 7 day cruises until this improves :(

All in all we enjoyed this cruise very much except for the little thing I mentioned above. Would I cruise Carnival again? Absolutely. As long as the cruise isn't longer than 5 days due to the internet situation. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

This was my second time to Cabo and I still love it. Definitely more crowded and built up than the last time I was there in 1990 but still fun. The water was beautiful and it's easy to get around the little dock town. The first day we didn't book a shore excursion - just had a water taxi take us to Medano Beach and Lover's Beach for an hour each. Second day we had booked the Chileno & Santa Maria Beach snorkeling excursion which was nice. Be careful of the jellyfish in the water though since a few people on our excursion were stung. We plan on returning for a land vacation here and were hoping Carnival would do another 5 day cruise that sails out of San Diego and goes 2 days to Cabo and comes back, but they aren't doing those anymore.

It's been 22 years since I was here and it's still a nice port. We got kind of a late start and had planned on visiting Mismoloya and the zoo but didn't get there. We wound up taking a taxi to the shopping district downtown and the beach. Had a fun time.