Arcadia Cruise Review by Alicekirby

Embarkation: Cape Town
Destination: Blank
Cabin Category: DA
Cabin Number: A13
See More About: Arcadia Cruise Reviews | Blank Cruise Reviews | P&O Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Arcadia Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Arcadia Deck Plans
Very disappointing experience.
The main problem was the viral infection which had been infecting passengers (according to many we met) since the ship left Southampton on the beginning of the world cruise. My husband and I were ill after 3 days of the 16 night journey (we embarked in Cape Town). I had a respiratory infection and lost my voice for 8 days. My husband also a respiratory infection which made him so ill he didn't go ashore at all in Vigo and did not enjoy Tenerife or Madeira.

My question for P&O is how responsible they feel for the welfare of their passengers and what steps do they take to ensure their well being. Many passengers are elderly and frail and had become very ill, some several times. The ship's personnel denied there was a problem aboard. The doctors said they could do nothing and charged £50 for that advice.

Otherwise the ship seemed fine. We enjoyed the space, public rooms etc. Our cabin (A deck) was comfortable and stable even in heavy seas. We didn't enjoy the 'sitting' arrangements at dinner. If we cruise again we would only sail on ships where you can choose when to use the dining room. 6.30pm is too early and 8.30pm much too late.

The staff were courteous and friendly (our waiter supplied us, unasked, with ginger tea and honey to soothe our throats) and the food was okay. The Orchid and The Grill, the two private restaurants were better. I didn't enjoy The Belvedere buffet restaurant - very downmarket.

It was our first cruise and a great disappointment.

Publication Date: 05/08/12