Arcadia Cruise Review by Alicekirby: Very disappointing experience.

Alicekirby
Member Since 2012

Very disappointing experience.

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Other
Embarkation: Cape Town

The main problem was the viral infection which had been infecting passengers (according to many we met) since the ship left Southampton on the beginning of the world cruise. My husband and I were ill after 3 days of the 16 night journey (we embarked in Cape Town). I had a respiratory infection and lost my voice for 8 days. My husband also a respiratory infection which made him so ill he didn't go ashore at all in Vigo and did not enjoy Tenerife or Madeira.

My question for P&O is how responsible they feel for the welfare of their passengers and what steps do they take to ensure their well being. Many passengers are elderly and frail and had become very ill, some several times. The ship's personnel denied there was a problem aboard. The doctors said they could do nothing and charged £50 for that advice.

Otherwise the ship seemed fine. We enjoyed the space, public rooms etc. Our cabin (A deck) was comfortable and stable even in heavy seas. We didn't enjoy More the 'sitting' arrangements at dinner. If we cruise again we would only sail on ships where you can choose when to use the dining room. 6.30pm is too early and 8.30pm much too late.

The staff were courteous and friendly (our waiter supplied us, unasked, with ginger tea and honey to soothe our throats) and the food was okay. The Orchid and The Grill, the two private restaurants were better. I didn't enjoy The Belvedere buffet restaurant - very downmarket.

It was our first cruise and a great disappointment. Less

Read more Arcadia cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Arcadia Review >>

Cabin review: Arcadia Deluxe Stateroom with Balcony and Bath/Shower A Deck A13

A deck, starboard, fore. Good position. Quiet, and convenient for spa and gym.

Wine Tasting

(4)
The Island is a great place to visit and it was not necessary to take a tour to see the town. However, we did see some lovely parts of the area around Funchal. Our visit to Blandys' coincided with several other tour buses. It was too crowded to enjoy.

Canadas del Teide

(3)
Guide was garrulous! Stop for coffee was quite unpleasant. Poor decor, poor coffee, very poor loos. Teide majestic, worth the trip just to see it.

Wine Tasting

(3)
The trip in the bus with the helpful guide was interesting. However the bodega we visited did not produce especially good wine. The second visit to the Parador was a great disappointment. The tapas comprised potato omelette and little else, not really tapas at all.