Viking Helgi Cruise Review by Pestkiller: Viking River Cruise Waterways of the Czars

Viking Helgi 5
Member Since 2012
0 Forum Posts

Viking River Cruise Waterways of the Czars

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: St. Petersburg

My wife and I had never been to Russia. We had been to China, the Caribbean, South America, Alaska, and all over the U.S. but Russia was a new experience. We flew from Seattle to St. Petersburg. Our flights to and from Russia was via Air Canada and Lufthansa. I will say I was impressed by the service and if and when we travel abroad again, we will choose foreign carriers over U.S. carriers. Better food, better service, less hassle, etc.

As advertised, Viking River Cruise staff met us at the St. Petersburg airport and transported us to the ship. On board the ship, the Viking staff was wonderful. From our stateroom, the meal service, tours, entertainment, etc. it was evident that we were their focus. The food was excellent..well prepared and presented. Unlike many cruises, Viking did not try to overfeed us. The portions were adequate and if we desired more, it was there but there was not 15 meals a day like other cruises. The tours were well planned and the guides More were excellent. Our guide (Natasha) was a true joy. She was like a member of the family with our group. Her knowledge of the tour venues, her sense of humor, and her obvious enjoyment of her job made her the perfect guide.

My only regret was that the cruise was only 13 days. I would like to have more time in Moscow. Perhaps someday we will go back and spend more time exploring the city. I realize that time was short and Viking really packed a lot into a short time.

A great cruise and I would recommend Viking to anyone who wants a guaranteed good time and an excellent value. Less

Published 05/07/12

Read more Viking Helgi cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Helgi Review >>

Cabin review:

Our cabin was excellent. It was a bit smaller than the average hotel/motel room but very comfortable. The bed was comfortable and the view excellent. I understand Viking now has new ships with outdoor exits and small porches but our cabin was more than adequate. You don't spent a lot of time in the cabin except for sleeping and dressing so it wasn't a big deal. I suppose that the fact that we didn't have any complaints and were completely comfortable and satisfied is high praise. The cabin should not be a distraction or a point of dissatisfaction. This was a real joy...