Statendam Cruise Review by Cruisinetta

Cruise Date: April 2012
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Cabin Category: S
See More About: Statendam Cruise Reviews | Panama Canal & Central America Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Statendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Statendam Deck Plans
Staty is old and beat completely up
I love the S class ships. I have been on four of them and the Statendam was the last one I have been on. The staff was average and the DJ definately needed at attitude adjustment. Very friendly cabin stewards, in fact two of the best I have ever had.

The ship itself is in need of major refreshment. The carpet seams were pulling apart and rolling up. This could cause a fall and a law suit for HAL. The hull of the ship was green and brown with lots of rust. My verandah had peeling paint everywhere leaving exposed metal. Other than that, my cabin was very nice.

The activities were much improved from earlier HAL ships I have been on in the past 6 months. They had the Olympics which was very similar to the Dam Dollar program. I loved it. No ship building contest which is a major X for me. I built one anyway. Steve, the Cruise Director, loved the little ship. He was a little older than your typical CD, but was friendly and cheerful.

We missed one port of call due to a swell which sucked the water out of the pier we were to dock at. I didn't care, I love at sea days. Really enjoyed all the ports of call we did go to. The entire Panama Canal was awesome. I have always done the cruises that go in to the lake and back out. This was first full transit of the canal and it was really great. We were on time most of the cruise.

Publication Date: 05/07/12