Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by mfs1011: Triumph in adversity for Independence of the Seas

mfs1011
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Independence of the Seas Canary Islands Cruises

Triumph in adversity for Independence of the Seas

Sail Date: April 2012
Destination: Canary Islands
Embarkation: Southampton

I'm expecting we might see a few bad reviews of this cruise. The weather in the Bay of Biscay was just about at its worst. Force 10 winds gusting up to Force 12 meant Indy was delayed crossing Biscay and the stop in Madeira was cancelled, disappointing many passengers, some of whom might vent their spleens here?

It was the luck of the draw that we sailed into a storm on Biscay whilst the Grand Princess, sailing roughly the same itinerary but which left Southampton a day earlier, avoided it altogether.

So yes, the Independence is a ship that sails on the ocean. Surprise, surprise, there are storms on the ocean. When you get caught in a storm, things happen. Get over it.

I had always wondered what it would be like to be on a ship caught in real hoolie of a storm.

Well it wasn't so bad, if you took the tablets and stayed in the middle of the ship on lower decks. Go forward or aft and things get more extreme. You up your chances of getting sick by staying More in a cabin that's rough. Seek shelter somewhere on the lower decks in the middle of the ship. It's all common sense really. Take advice, take sickness pills which were freely available and ride it out.

I know some people are more prone to illness than others, but don't be proud, seek help and advice if you're in trouble. Indy's crew did their best to help such passengers.

Independence weathered this storm well. The crew were helpful and supportive, the Captain made the right call to slow down and take it easy, even if it meant delays. The safety of passengers was paramount and in this test, unlike Costa Concordia, Royal Caribbean can be proud of the Independence of the Seas, her captain and crew. Storms like this can very dangerous and I'm glad we were sailing in such capable hands.

On a more general level, Indy is a great cruise ship with some excellent facilities to please a wide variety of cruisers. It's very clean and there is a constant emphasis on hygiene which is essential when you have a lot of people all congregated and infections can spread easily.

The food was very good. Well served, with the polite and friendly staff always keen to get feedback. Cabins were well kept and all amenities were spotless.

Entertainment was good, sometimes excellent. The Ice Show was brilliant and the production shows on formal nights were also superb.

Our fellow pasengers were a cross section of UK society, some good 'uns, other who we may not choose to rub shoulders with, but none of whom were particularly unsociable. It's each to their own and good luck to them.

One negative: I was a little perturbed by the rising number of mobility scooters on board. I understand that some passengers do need them, but it appeared to me that there was also a contingent of users for which scooters were a convenience and not strictly a necessity. I hope that this trend does not continue. Am I being harsh? I'd be interested to hear the views of others.

Another I'll indulge myself with is the WiFi on the ship. It is very hit or miss to connect and is very expensive.

In conclusion I would recommend a cruise on Independence to anyone who is looking for a quality holiday experience and understands that on any holiday, as in life, not everything is always plain sailing and a sense of humour helps. Less

Read more Independence of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Independence of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Independence of the Seas Promenade Stateroom Deck 6 6323

Promende window has partially obscured view of Royal Promenade (sign in the way) and looks over the Champagne Bar. Not a great view of the parades but fine for people watching. Absolutely no issues with noise from Royal Promenade. The cabin has a connecting door to 6321 and there may be some noise concerns if you do not use 6321 for kids etc., however we had quiet neighbours so did not hear much

Arrecife is a commercial centre with little to commend it, so again we hired a car from Cicar for a reasonable price. We walked 50 yards from the ship to the car hire office and we were on the road 10 minutes later. From there you can pretty much reach anywhere in the island in under an hour. We suggest a visit to Jameos del Agua or Timanfaya if you are not a beach type. The beach at Costa Teguise isn't bad or Puerto del Carmen isn't far either.

An easy port for access to shops and the beach. Lots of announcements on the beach about jellyfish which scared some from swimming. I saw one dead jellyfish on the beach and none in the water. There's shopping mall within easy walking distance which is good for WiFi and your usual selection of Spanish shops.

We hired a car from Cicar, located in the Ferry Terminal near the dock. Cheap prices and good terms. Book online in advance. There is a great locals beach north of Santa Cruz which is about 10 minutes drive from the port north of Santa Cruz on the TF11 http://g.co/maps/e6sw5 We drove up to Mt Teide in our hire car and then hit the beach. Would it be possible for Indy to call into Los Cristianos rather than Santa Cruz? The weather in the south is far better.
Read 208 Tenerife Reviews

(4)
Vigo is a commercial port that is cashing in on the cruise market. There is a shopping mall right outside the cruise terminal and further afield there is a shopping precinct with a reasonable choice of shops. We simply strolled ashore in the limited time we had. There are some decent taperias within easy walking distance. At Matalanza we had complimentary snack tapas with €3 glasses of wine. Bargain.
Read 205 Vigo Reviews